Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove a directory that no longer exists but is in the history of mecurial

ShannonRamirez July 2, 2019

There is one other person using the repo with me. When we first started we were putting everything into the repo. That included a folder called documents that held a ton of pdf files. We have now excluded that folder but all those documents and subfolders and their history are still in our repo.  How do i remove that directory and it's history from the repo and is it safe to do so.  There is one other person using this repo besides me.

1 answer

0 votes
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 2, 2019

Hi @ShannonRamirez,

It is possible to remove something from the history of a repository, what you need is called editing history. It is not a trivial process and has some caveats which are well explained in these official articles, along with the required steps to perform such change:

All in all, it is safe if you carefully follow the steps and communicate your actions with whoever else is using the repository.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Daniil

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events