Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove a directory from repository, after the commit to delete it did not delete the directory?

longor
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 13, 2014

After deleting a directory in my IDE (Eclipse), SourceTree registered the deletion as supposed. I then pushed the commit to delete the directory-tree to the repository on BitBucket, but the directory-tree did NOT get deleted. Its still there.

A quick google search didn't give any working results on "delete directory from bitbucket repository". I tried to delete the files trough the command-line (using 'git') as described in most of the google results, but again it didnt work, the directory is still there.

I tried the Atlassian-search, but that too didn't give any working results, so I am now going to ask here:

How can I delete a directory from my BitBucket-repository, after the deletion commit was already pushed, but nothing was deleted?

2 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
longor
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 13, 2014

I fixed the problem myself now.

The actual problem was that the folder was listed in the gitignore, and BitBucket probably 'ignored' the deletion because of that.

What I did was:

• Remove the folder from the gitignore file.
  • Revert the commit that deleted the files.
  • Delete the files again, and push the commit.
  • Then revert the commit again.
  • Delete the files one more time and push the commit.
  • Re-add the folder to the gitignore.
  • Done.
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2014

Thanks for coming back to post the solution.

Like Vicky Potts likes this
6 votes
naxus28
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 5, 2018

This solution is much simpler:

https://gist.github.com/sabarasaba/3080590

Harsh Parmar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 21, 2018

Thanks!!

Like lucas_procopio likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events