Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to push the contents of a local versioned GIT repository to an empty GIT repository via SSH

kiusau September 20, 2019

BACKGROUND:  I have created a GIT repository on the Lunarpages/HostPapa server.  It is filled with content made from a copy of a production subdomain located on the same server.  The repository is located above the public_html in which the production subdomain is located.

I have also created a GIT repository on BitBucket.  With the exception of a .gitignore file it is empty.  It shares the same as that of my repository on the Lunarpages/HostPapa server.

I have also created public and private keys of the SSH-RSA sort and copied the public key to my BitBucket account.  Further, I have managed to establish a connection via the following command.

ssh -v git@bitbucket.org

The eventual response is "You can use git or hg to connect to Bitbucket. Shell access is disabled.  This deploy key has read access to the following repositories:
Kiusau/grammercaptive".

When I open the settings for the empty repository in search of a place to enable access I can find no relevant menu option.

In addition, I have tried to push and clone from the Lunarpages/HostPapa to the BitBucket server via both HTTP request and SSH, but to no avail.  The Atlassian guidelines -- no matter how I implement them -- simply do not resolve the problem.  I am exhausted.

Please advise.

Roddy

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2019

Hi Roddy,

When you do the push to Bitbucket, do you get an error message? Also, go to settings for your repository to check that your key was not added as an access key to the repository instead of to your profile.

Thank you, Mikael.  I removed the SSH key from my BitBucket repository and added it to my BitBucket account and applied the following command:

[root@vps .git]# git push -u origin --all

The whole of the repository is now being pushed.

Not to be ungrateful, but what, then, is the purpose of the access key to the BitBucket repository, and what key should be entered there to achieve that purpose?

Roddy

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2019

Access keys are used to grant read-only access to repositories but you still want the user or service to authenticate against Bitbucket. You can find more information about it here, Access keys.

Like kiusau likes this

Thank you, Mikael.  And, have a great weekend!

You have been extremely helpful.

Roddy

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2019

You're welcome, and the same to you!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events