Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prevent a merge when one or more build in pipeline failed?

Ken Dela Rama October 4, 2018

Hi we are currently exploring  bitbucket pipeline for our CI/CD process. one thing we want to achieve is to prevent merging when there is a failed build in the current Pull Request. right now i tried forcing the build to fail using php throw error. but when i click merge it pushes trough. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2018

Hi Ken,

We have a feature in Bitbucket that can check if there are a required number of green pipeline on a PR before it can be merge (as well as some other options). https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/merge-checks-856691474.html

The merge check will display a warning on a PR that a merge check has not be satisfied (such as a failed pipeline).

If you're on the Bitbucket Premium Plan, then you can set this up to also prevent PRs from being merged until all merge checks are met. Which I believe is what you're asking for.

Thanks,

Phil

Ken Dela Rama October 4, 2018

now i get it. if you're not a premium plan, the` merge checks` will only have a warning. but able to merge it. you have to be a premium plan for the prevention of merge. 

thanks man. 

Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2018

No problem. :)

Miguel A. Alonso October 14, 2019

Hi.

Is this possible using Bitbucket server version?

Thanks a lot.

Tim Black March 10, 2020

Bump, I'm trying to find out same answer, we're using bitbucket server 6. 10. 1

Tim Black March 16, 2020

@Miguel A. Alonso I've discovered that the "Minimum Successful Builds" Merge Check is indeed available on Bitbucket Server. I'm using 6.10.1 and it works, however I'm finding in BBS these Merge Checks are only configurable at the Project or repo level. I cannot figure out how to apply them only to certain branches (namely, develop). 

brian.pang@commscope.com August 18, 2021

Is the Bitbucket Data Center version v7.6.5 support allow this to prevent a merge?  We need this feature!

This feature  needs to be in the Bitbucket Data Center version if it is not.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events