Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move a repo from one Bitbucket cloud organization to another?

Ray Depew September 16, 2022

I have a couple of different Bitbucket Cloud organizations: one that I used when we were first setting up our cloud infrastructure two years ago; and one that we use now, in production. We can call them bitbucket.org/getting-started and bitbucket.org/for-real

I have a repository in bitbucket.org/getting-started that I want to move to bitbucket.org/for-real, so that I can discontinue using bitbucket.org/getting-started. What's the best way to do that?

(Note that I will need to keep the version in bitbucket.org/getting-started for a few months, for LTS reasons. So maybe "copy" is a better word than "move".)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2022

Hey @Ray Depew 

G'day!

I believe the best approach would be to import the repository using the importer.

This will basically do a clone of your repository in another Workspace. However, do note that it will only transfer your repository and not the metadata such as PR, settings, and pipeline.

Cheers,
Syahrul

Ray Depew September 26, 2022

Hello Syahrul,

Thank you for the quick reply! Unfortunately, the import had an issue of its own. Here is the log:

I tried it first with "Requires authorization" disabled. Then I tried it with "Requires authorization" enabled, and my username and password entered, but it still failed.

We do have 2FA enabled on our corporate accounts, and I believe we have SSO enabled as well. Might those be getting in the way somehow?

Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2022

Hey @Ray Depew 

Noted.

I believe you need to use App Passwords with Require authorization option enabled since we no longer allow users to use Account passwords for git and HTTPS.

Let me know if that works.

Cheers,
Syahrul

Like Ray Depew likes this
Ray Depew September 28, 2022

App passwords! I should have remembered that! Thanks for the reminder. I entered an app password and it worked immediately.

Thank you for your help.

Regards
Ray

Like Syahrul likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events