cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to mount docker.sock?

Sander Mol August 11, 2021

Hello,

What I am trying to do.

I want to create a regression test for the service of Telegraf. This can essentially be done by running `telegraf --test`. As we are running this with a docker-compose definition we would like to use this same docker-compose to run the test.

As Telegraf is also collecting docker metrics, we also need to mount the `docker.sock`.

version: '3.7'
services:
telegraf:
image: telegraf:1.18.3-alpine
restart: unless-stopped
environment:
- TELEGRAF_HOSTNAME=${TELEGRAF_HOSTNAME:?}
volumes:
- ./telegraf.conf:/etc/telegraf/telegraf.conf:ro
- /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock

The issue

It seems that Telegraf cannot authenticate against the docker.sock API:

2021-08-11T07:40:12Z E! [inputs.docker] Error in plugin: Got permission denied while trying to connect to the Docker daemon socket at unix:///var/run/docker.sock: Get "http://%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fdocker.sock/v1.21/info": dial unix /var/run/docker.sock: connect: permission denied

2021-08-11T07:40:12Z E! [inputs.docker] Error in plugin: Got permission denied while trying to connect to the Docker daemon socket at unix:///var/run/docker.sock: Get "http://%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fdocker.sock/v1.21/containers/json?filters=%7B%22status%22%3A%5B%22running%22%5D%7D&limit=0": dial unix /var/run/docker.sock: connect: permission denied

What I tried

I do not seem to be able to locate the `/var/run/docker.sock` inside of the pipeline using the following step definitions:

- step: 
name: "Test Telegraf config"
services:
- docker
script:
- cd ${BITBUCKET_CLONE_DIR}/telegraf
- TELEGRAF_HOSTNAME=$(hostname) docker-compose run telegraf telegraf --test

How can I use the docker.sock that is required by the services I try to test?

1 answer

0 votes
Geoffrey van Rixtel August 19, 2021

+1 also facing this issue, which is kinda blocking me from running E2E tests properly.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events