How to migrate from Bitbucket Server to Bitbucket cloud

Martin Rupp November 30, 2017

Is there any reasonable way to migrate from bitbucket server to bitbucket cloud?

Thanks

martin

2 answers

2 votes
Maren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 30, 2019

Hi there,

As you've found, we currently only support migrating repository data (your source code) from Bitbucket Server to Bitbucket Cloud. There's no supported method for migrating user accounts, permission structures, or repository metadata like pull request history and comments. We're currently gathering interesting in this feature, so if this is something you need we recommend watching or voting for this issue.

For more information about migrating from Bitbucket Server to cloud, I recommend reviewing Plan your Bitbucket Server to cloud migration

As outlined in the guide, there are a few ways to move your data to the cloud:

1. Use our repository importer to import individual repositories. To migrate using the importer, your Bitbucket Server domain needs to be publicly accessible. If it's not publicly accessible Bitbucket Cloud will not be able to access to your Bitbucket Server to perform the import.
  2. You can also create a new repository on Bitbucket Cloud, and then simply push from your local repository to the new repository in Bitbucket Cloud.
  3. If you have a lot of repositories, Bitbucket Cloud provides APIs for you to script the creation and pushing of repositories in bulk.

For more info to help you decide if moving from server to cloud is a good option for you, check out our Atlassian Cloud Migration Center

I hope this helps, and please don't hesitate to reach out with questions. 

1 vote
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2017

Hi Martin, you can import the source code and history from Bitbucket cloud to Server as explained at Importing code. However, you'll need to manually recreate all metadata such as permissions, comments, pull requests etc. either from the Bitbucket Server GUI or programmatically using the Bitbucket API. We have a feature request to make this process easier, and you can vote for it at BSERV-3555.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Best regards,

Ana 

theQuestion
Atlassian Team
February 14, 2018

I agree @Ana Retamal thank you for this update.

Alexey_Zimarev March 6, 2018

The feature request is Closed/Fixed but the import function is only available for GitHub. It clearly shows that Atlassian prefers spending resources to attract new customers but not to improve experiences for existing customers, which is sad.

Like mmartin likes this
abs chamali April 7, 2018

I guess this is still the case? very bizarre, lets focus on Github and ignore our own customers, I guess it is time we move to Github and review all of atlassian product lines. They seem to have taken a wrong direction. Now we have to hire someone just specially to do this and migrate other stuff. This has highlighted the problem with using only Atlassain products.

Martin Rupp April 7, 2018

In the meantime I did some experimenting and found this:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/get-started-with-bitbucket/import-a-repository-861178561.html

Works flawlessly but you need to do it one by one. All the history remains and I just started off with bitbucket cloud where I left with bitbucket server.

abs chamali April 7, 2018

Hmm, cool, but i keep getting error with "info/refs not valid: is this a git repository?"

am i missing anything?

Richard Przybyla May 16, 2018

@Ana Retamal Your answer pointed to documentation for migrating code INTO a bitbucket server. The question is about migrating code out of bitbucket server into bitbucket cloud. Is there an interface outside of git clone --bare / git push for each repository?

Suresh Sakhare July 26, 2018

Does this functionality available now with metadata(i.e pull requests and users)?

Stephanie
Atlassian Team
August 19, 2020

Hello Community!

I'm a designer on Bitbucket and we are doing further research on this topic and would love to invite you to take part in an upcoming customer research study.

Who we’re interested in talking to:

• Admins who have recently migrated or considered migrating

What’s involved in the research:

• Sessions are 1 hour and conducted over video-conference, so you can participate from anywhere around the globe.

• During the research, we'll start with a general chat to get to know you, then, we’ll have some questions to guide the conversations.

• As a token of our appreciation, you'll receive an e-gift card worth $100 USD within 5 days of completing your session.

If you're interested in taking part, fill out the form here.

If you have any other questions at all, feel free to reply to this post. We look forward to meeting you!

Cheers,

Stephanie

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events