How to migrate from Bitbucket Server to Bitbucket cloud

Vasiliy Kovalev October 13, 2017

Please give me an answer if it possible to migrate from Bitbucket Server to Bitbucket Cloud by Bitbucket solutions and possibilities? 

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2017

No. You will have to write a script that clones all repos from server and pushes to new remote in cloud.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-questions/Bitbucket-Server-Rest-Api-Clone-all-repositories/qaq-p/626578#M18561

Vasiliy Kovalev October 16, 2017

Thank you for information! 

But we also need to migrate user profiles with permissions. Easy to say, we need to clone everything that server contains to Bitbucket cloud.

Like Thomas Burke likes this
edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2017

The users will have to be recreated/invited in cloud. Then you can save the group information from server using the api to a list and update cloud.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/development-tools-evaluator-resources/bitbucket/bitbucket-migrate-bitbucket-cloud-to-bitbucket-server

Stephanie
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2020

Hello Community!

I'm a designer on Bitbucket and we are doing further research on this topic and would love to invite you to take part in an upcoming customer research study.

Who we’re interested in talking to:

• Admins who have recently migrated or considered migrating

What’s involved in the research:

• Sessions are 1 hour and conducted over video-conference, so you can participate from anywhere around the globe.

• During the research, we'll start with a general chat to get to know you, then, we’ll have some questions to guide the conversations.

• As a token of our appreciation, you'll receive an e-gift card worth $100 USD within 5 days of completing your session.

If you're interested in taking part, fill out the form here.

If you have any other questions at all, feel free to reply to this post. We look forward to meeting you!

Cheers,

Stephanie

Like Maren likes this
Gianluca Fonte February 11, 2021

hi, are you still doing any research around this topic? We have a few users that would like to migrate several repos from BB Server to our BB Cloud instance. please let us know. Thank you

Maren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2021

Hi @Gianluca Fonte,

You have great timing!

We're now further along, and in fact just announced the Early Access Program for our Bitbucket Cloud Migration Assistant earlier this week. This will involve both access to the tool as well as support from our team and the chance to provide feedback. 

If you're interested, you can learn more and sign up here

Cheers,
Maren

Gianluca Fonte February 12, 2021

will definitely take a look as we need to migrate hundreds of repos from BB server to BB Cloud. Thanks

2 votes
shawn_woodford August 29, 2018

@Vasiliy Kovalev @Vasiliy Kovalev @Allen Hi I just released my migration script which works on a Linux Bitbucket Server: https://github.com/swoodford/migrate_bitbucket_server_to_bitbucket_cloud

Vasiliy Kovalev August 29, 2018

Ok. thank you for information. I'll try your solution. 

Allen August 30, 2018

@shawn_woodford - this is fantastic! Haven't tried it but dug around in the script. Will keep this on the shelf for my next migration. Thanks much!

shawn_woodford August 30, 2018

Great hopefully this works for you!

2 votes
shawn_woodford October 18, 2017

It's mind-boggling that Atlassian does not have a tool or provide any support for migrating to Bitbucket Server to Bitbucket Cloud.  Has no one ever done this before?  Do they not want people to use Bitbucket Cloud if they already have Server? 

I am planning a migration away from Bitbucket Server to a cloud hosted git service and was considering Bitbucket Cloud, but maybe I will take a second look at migrating to GitHub or GitLab instead.

We have about 200 projects, 500 repos to migrate and lack of any real support from Atlassian is extremely disappointing.

Vasiliy Kovalev October 19, 2017

I agree with you! I think that Atlassian should think about this opportunity, because a lot of companies needs this service.

Allen February 6, 2018

Just found this after doing a quick search. I'm about to embark in a migration of over 1000 repos from Server to Cloud. Really disappointed there is not automatic way of doing this. I'll be doing it by hand and with manual scripts it looks like.

0 votes
Maren
Atlassian Team
April 30, 2019

Hi there,

As you've found, we currently only support migrating repository data (your source code) from Bitbucket Server to Bitbucket Cloud. There's no supported method for migrating user accounts, permission structures, or repository metadata like pull request history and comments. We're currently gathering interesting in this feature, so if this is something you need we recommend watching or voting for this issue.

For more information about migrating from Bitbucket Server to cloud, I recommend reviewing Plan your Bitbucket Server to cloud migration

As outlined in the guide, there are a few ways to move your data to the cloud:

1. Use our repository importer to import individual repositories. To migrate using the importer, your Bitbucket Server domain needs to be publicly accessible. If it's not publicly accessible Bitbucket Cloud will not be able to access to your Bitbucket Server to perform the import.
  2. You can also create a new repository on Bitbucket Cloud, and then simply push from your local repository to the new repository in Bitbucket Cloud.
  3. If you have a lot of repositories, Bitbucket Cloud provides APIs for you to script the creation and pushing of repositories in bulk.

For more info to help you decide if moving from server to cloud is a good option for you, check out our Atlassian Cloud Migration Center

I hope this helps, and please don't hesitate to reach out with questions. 

0 votes
Turlach MacDonagh November 14, 2018

I hope I just haven't dug around the forum enough and that I'm wrong.  But how Atlassian can have the two products, push heavily for cloud and not supply a way to migrate that is pretty much push a button is beyond me. Now I need to do a honest look at whether it is worth staying on bitbucket or if it is time to move to github or gitlabs. 

Allen December 17, 2018

@Turlach MacDonagh - doing a bulk migration isn't overly complex. Just need to plan first. You are right that there should be a simple way to migrate from both systems easily.

Turlach MacDonagh December 17, 2018

are you referring to the git repos or the metadata that winds up in bitbucket? The git repos are dead simple to move. And the metadata should be as well. To build a script and plan out the migration is all time and energy that can be better spent on other things. To have a cloud product and not offer the easy "hey press this button and migrate your self hosted bitbucket to the cloud version" is a bit crazy from where I stand because now I ask myself, is it better to migrate it to github if it is going to be a lot of work to migrate from bitbucket server to cloud. 

Just feeling a bit frustrated that it is something Atlassian should have included in a cloud product. 

Thomas Burke September 23, 2020

now  2020   and status same, clearly there is no interest - false confidence

Like Turlach MacDonagh likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events