Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to logout / TOO persistant login

k9t9 March 23, 2019

Dear ATLASSIAN / atlassian Community :

I have a very simple question :

How to definitely and unequivocally logout of this website ? ( community.atlassian.com )

Due to the nature of my work, I must quite frequently work on workstations that are not exclusively mine.  Also in our office some workstations are not exclusive .

After the (not-so-) recent change to the login method for ATLASSIAN products, we find it almost impossible to logout.  an automatic login will always occur with the last used ID/PWD.

Unless I / WE miss some absurdly obvious function or link ( and in that case - apologies )- The "logout" link is simply misleading in nature.

e.g. :

• Two of my co-workers / colleagues signed-in in an airport lounge - and then took them almost an hour to try and reset the login - without success.
  • In our office - we are all forced to use ONE single username of the first unlucky user that logs in.
  • ..and even a personal laptop / workstation can not be left always logged-in.

All of the above scenarios can be considered as a very serious security threat. and I can count many more.

Deleting cookies / local storage does not seem to help - apparently they are set on multiple / separate domains and fiddling with them is not what anyone as a simple user should do - even if could.

In some instances cookies deletion will cause `404` errors like :

Not Found

The requested URL /simplesaml/module.php/core/no_cookie.php was not found on this server.

Answers like this one does not seems very helpful as we are not expected to mail / post thread every time we want to logout ... ( BTW - lots of questions about this issue. maybe a hint ?? )

I would also have expected to have a clear and precise warning to users of the fact that the login is persistent and can not be actually revoked on "logout" .

Again - if there is another method / function / link to do a real and persistent "logout" with cleaning of all residues - Then I apologize for the thread and please point me to the right direction.

But if there isn't any - Then I would definitely expect to be able to securely logout of any account at any moment I so desire.

Edit : Small addendum :

If indeed some function to clear all session exists - I would also expect to transparently EXPOSE it to users - as I wrote above - It seems we / I am not the only one(s) that search for it .... .

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2019

What have you done to the browser?  The session information is kept by a browser and cleared if you click "log out" under your profile.  This works for me in all three browsers I usually use, so I have to ask why yours is behaving differently/

krembo99 March 24, 2019

Nothing special done to the browser, I also tried it on several different browsers. Click logout and then login again - and no ID / PWD is asked.  just logged immediately. I do not think that we are the ones doing anything wrong..

krembo99 May 13, 2019

Is there any progress or answer on this issue ?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events