How to house clean your repository

Blake January 16, 2018

My team works using the git flow model but most development including bug fixes all go under our feature folder. I know that's not the standard but that's not what my question is. We now have a huge amount of branches in our feature folder that are inactive. These branches have either been merged back into develop/master or become inactive. If I start delete them; we lose the hyperlinks associated with our JIRA cards. We don't want to do that in the case we want to know how we fixed a problem from ways back. 

My question is how can I declutter a folder of inactive branches in my repo while preserving the JIRA hyperlink to the bitbucket change log?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2018

I'm afraid this doesn't solve your existing problem, but we always make sure commit messages include the Jira issue key, that way the link is maintained if the commit is merged and the branch deleted.

Blake January 17, 2018

Thanks Michael,

That is a solution. Not the one I am hoping for but it gives us an option! Thanks, I'll shoot this around next week when my team meets to talk about this.

Blake January 23, 2018

I updated and now notice that JIRA is tracking commits and respective builds. When I delete the branch the commits and build links remain! YAY! We are also now including the JIRA item number with our commit messages. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events