How to group repositories in a project ?

Michael PAUL July 16, 2014

In a stash project, how to group repositories by categories or whatever?

We need a way to label/categorize repositories into (for example) LIBRARIES, APPLICATIONS, PLUGINS, ...

Does this functionnality exist? I know it does for categorizing projects (with a plugin), but what about the same thing for repositories IN each project ?

Thanks for your time.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2014

Assumption:

STASH does not support any metadata on git-entities (a repository is a git-entity as GIT itself handles this) - but stash-entities may have metadata (a project is no git-concept as git does not know anything about stash-"projects" - projects is a pure stash entity)

All data of stash-entities are stored within the STASH-database, whereas the data of git-entities are stored in the git-repository itself (and git does not know anything about "label" or "tag" describing the repository)

Edit:

git repositories do have a file *description* within their *.git* directories. Those files are designated to hold some metadata about the repository - but the file seems to be seldom used (STASH does also not use it) and does not have any standardized format

see: what should be in the git description file?

Michael PAUL July 22, 2014

Ok, I understand better why this is not done already :)

I thought a repository was some way a stash-entity linked to the corresponding git-entity, therefore not so different from the existing plugin I saw for categorizing projects.

By the way, the git repository's description file may be used (I hope) in the future by Stash to provide this kind of feature. (I guess it's not possible to code a plugin to do that?)

Thanks !

Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2014

My answer above is mainly an assumption - but looking at the STASH server itself you've got the database and the $STASH_HOME folder where the git-repositories are located. Doing a complete backup of your stash data you need to store both - so the git repositories seem not to be stored in the database.

By the way, the git repository's description file may be used (I hope) in the future by Stash to provide this kind of feature

Also thought about this - displaying the contents should be no problem. But there might be a problem when it comes to editing the desired metadata through the STASH-Web interface - STASH needs to modify the git-repository (as it needs to modify the describtion file). Don't know if this is possible/desireable

BTW: the description file is not the only possible file to hold metadata but the only file for this which is available by default within your repository. Any file within your git-repo might hold this information (an example is the README file - and this files contents is already displayed within STASH. But this does not offer possibilities to group your repos nor to search fpr keywords ... :-()

1 vote
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2014

Nope - no way doing this ....

0 votes
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2014

Check out the Project Categories plug-in, it does not do exactly what you wanted, but you might find it useful.

Michael PAUL July 22, 2014

Thanks for your answer but that's what I meant by "I know it does for categorizing projects (with a plugin)". I already use this plugin, but I would like to categorize repositories in order to not have a long flat list of all repositories in a big project.

Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2014

Too early in the morning here for such details. :) Sorry for the redundancy.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events