How to get all branches from pipelines?

Mikhail Kopylov March 24, 2022

In bitbucket-pipelines.yml I have the following script:

`git branch -a`

When it's run on `master` branch, it shows only `master` and `remotes/origin/master`. When it's run on `123` branch, it shows only `123` and `remotes/origin/123`.

So it shows only current branch, but doesn't show all the repository branches.

I wonder, why?

Is there a way to get access to all the repository branches from git CLI?

1 answer

3 votes
Norbert C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2022

Hi Mikhail, 

Thank you for contacting Atlassian Community, my name is Norbert and I'm a Bitbucket Cloud Support Engineer, it's nice to meet with you!

I'd like to inform you when you clone a repository with Bitbucket Pipelines, by default it only clones the branch where the Pipelines got initiated. This is due to make the build quicker as it doesn't need to clone all the branches.

In case you would like to clone the full repository with every repository, I would like to suggest you to use the following settings in your configuration. This way it'll clone every branch, but please keep in mind, that it'll make your build a bit slower:

clone: 
depth: full

Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,
Norbert
Atlassian Bitbucket Cloud Support

Adrian Lapierre April 3, 2023
clone: 
depth: full

fix the problem

Like tony_fruzza likes this
Patrick Nelson December 1, 2023

Users may also need to perform a "git checkout" as well if they want to get details about tags. I'm not sure why, but the following fails WITHOUT a checkout:

export TAG_INFO=`git branch --contains tags/$BITBUCKET_TAG 2>/dev/null`

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events