Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to force git garbage collection?

Deadcow January 8, 2022

We hit the 4gb limit and I did followed "Reduce repository size" guide to revert latest commit and also I turned "Delete dangling commits when over size limit" on in Labs, but somehow repo size just increased in size even more and it stays 5.9 GB for now for a few days, it seems that git gc were not initiated

url of the repo: git@bitbucket.org:DoMyBestGames/school.git

*upd 1

Oh we did figured out that "Delete dangling commits when over size limit" setting is set per user and not per repo as I thought. We enabled this feature for the second user of this repo (he did the final commit) and hopefully this will trigger garbage collection, we'll see in a minutes I guess

*upd 2

Nope, three hours passed, no difference 🙄

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 11, 2022

Hi, @Deadcow

I saw that you created a ticket with our support related to the same question and we have already answered you there, so to avoid any possible misunderstandings or miscommunication that may arise from discussing the same matter on two different platforms, let’s focus on the ticket instead.

Once the ticket is resolved, feel free to share the resolution here to help other community members that may have the same issue.

Kind regards,
Caroline

Deadcow January 11, 2022

Thanks! All is fine now 😊

0 votes
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2022

Hey @Deadcow 

I have seen Atlassian Team checking from there end and doing gc. Hopefully they will reply here soon :)

Meanwhile have you checked this bfg utility which allows to do gc 

https://rtyley.github.io/bfg-repo-cleaner/

Regards,

Vishwas

Deadcow January 10, 2022

Yeah! I found out about bfg just when we hit the 4gb limit and now I'm afraid to use it while we have dangling uncommited changes. 

I'd like to try this tool for sure when I get back controls over the repo :)

Like Vishwas likes this
0 votes
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2022

Hi! 

could you create a new repo in bitbucket and push old local repo and look the size after new git clone ?

Deadcow January 9, 2022

I tried that, it is much lower in size. I think gc should help. Seemingly only atlassian admins can help with this   

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events