Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enter Bitbucket password on mac terminal?

Sarid Ruiz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 24, 2020

How do I connect to bitbucket on my mac?

I'm trying to import my existing code into bitbucket using terminal on mac, but after I do a "git push -u origin master" it asks for my bitbucket password but it doesn't let me type my password.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2020

Hi Sarid,

I believe that this might be a feature of the terminal, passwords are hidden as you type them (so you don't really see anything happening) for security reasons.

Can you try entering your password when you are asked for it, then press Enter? If you type the correct password this should work.

Feel free to let me know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Theodora

ashpak.farish
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 10, 2021

does copy and paste work in terminal

Deleted user January 13, 2022

I tried entering my password and pressed enter, but it doesnt work. please help!

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2022

Hi @ashpak.farish and @[deleted] ,

@ashpak.farish I'm sorry my reply comes 5 months late, I missed the notification when you replied.

Copy and paste should work in the terminal unless there is some setting configured to disable it.
Depending on the operating system and the terminal application you use, the shortcuts for copy-paste may be different than the usual Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V.

@[deleted]  I see that your Bitbucket Cloud account was created a few days ago. In this case, you will need to use an app password when cloning/pulling/pushing via HTTPS and use it instead of a password:

We are deprecating Atlassian account passwords for Git and Bitbucket API activity:

Users who created their Bitbucket account from Sep 13, 2021 onwards will need to use an app password for Git over HTTPS or Bitbucket API.
Users who created their account before that date can still use their account's password until March 1, 2022, and after that date, they'll need to use an app password as well.

If you still have issues or any questions, please create a new question in community and we can address them there.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Ian Chan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 3, 2022

Hi Theodora,

Do I have to always do copy and paste to push in Mac Terminal? Is there a setting that it will auto take the password without doing extra copy and paste? Thank you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events