Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to download a file from private repository using curl Edited

Hi,

Is there a way to download a file from a private repository using curl or wget?

I'm getting a 401 when hitting below URL. The app password got only read permissions to Repository and I wonder if this is enough or the URL is correct. I can't use the RAW file as the URL to RAW version is changing unless there is URL to always get the RAW version of the file?

curl -s -S --user username:apppassword -L -O https://bitbucket.org/<ORG_NAME>/<REPO>/src/master/<FOLDER>/file.txt

In a browser this will display the file and the website itself so it might not be a good way of doing it but I can't find a correct API URL.

Update: I found a correct URL for the latest RAW file but I always get 401 with curl/wget and an apppassword. What permissions app password needs to get this file?

2 answers

Ok found a "correct" way to do it. "Correct" as you shouldn't use passwords in a bash like that.

curl -s -S --user username:apppassword -L -O https://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/repositories/<ORGANISATION>/<REPO>/src/master/<FOLDER>/<FILE>

Thanks! I have the same question. This worked for me, as well. 

One way to import passwords to a bash script is from an external file.

script.sh

#!/bin/bash

source passwords.txt

curl -s -S --user ${USER}:${APP_PASSWORD} -L -O https://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/repositories/<ORGANISATION>/<REPO>/src/master/<FOLDER>/<FILE>

passwords.txt

USER="username"

APP_PASSWORD="password"
0 votes

Just letting anyone who's curious. Don't use api.bitbucket.org, at least every time I did I was just getting an error. Instead, I've opted to just copy the link to the download from the "Download's" Tab in the repository. Below is my example. 

curl -H "Cache-Control: no-cache" --user <Username>:<Password> -L -O https://bitbucket.org/<orgname>/<Repository>/get/<filename>.zip

You'll need to add -H "Cache-Control: no-cache" don't ask me why but setting a custom header seems to solve the problem.

I also removed the silence, just because I like to know I'm not just sitting on a dead page.

And if anyone is looking to streamline this. I'm using this as a deployment system via an install.sh script built into a custom ISO with a redirect link to a custom domain that points to the BitBucket download link. Meaning all I need to do is update my URL redirect. I've put below my .sh code in case anyone is curious. It's a neat little trick to save some time in the future.  

Obviously, this will also work within the normal terminal. 

url=$(curl -Ls -o /dev/null -w %{url_effective} <redirect url>)

echo $url

curl -H "Cache-Control: no-cache" --user <Username>:<Password> -L -O $url

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

New improvements to user management in Bitbucket Cloud 👥

Hey Community! We’re willing to wager that quite a few of you not only use Bitbucket, but administer it too. Our team is excited to share that we’ll be releasing improvements throughout this month of...

524 views 4 13
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you