Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete a workspace

Kevin Davis May 1, 2020

I have a workspace with two members but no repositories. It's in my name, so I assume that makes me the "owner" or whatever similar concept, but I don't see a way to delete it. The documentation contains a link that purports to describe how to do this, but it links to a Confluence page that either doesn't exist or that I don't have access to.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/create-and-administer-your-workspace-966686578.html

How do I delete a workspace?

12 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Patrick Wolf - Atlassian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 23, 2020

Hi, everyone. 

We are working on this and it is due to backwards compatibility of our APIs. 

This is a holdover from the original architecture of Bitbucket. Originally Bitbucket was focused on users collaborating on code projects together and it has grown into teams and organizations collaborating on a large set of shared repositories. All repositories were originally owned by individual users.
Teams were introduced in 2012 so that Teams could share repositories but we still allowed individual users to own repositories, too.
Earlier this year, we introduced Workspaces as a single model of repository ownership. All repositories now belong to Workspaces. To implement this migration from user and team ownership to workspaces we needed to maintain backward compatibility for a time. Therefore, every existing user owns their own workspace. This workspace contains every repository that the user individually owned previously.
We also create a new workspace for every new user due to backwards compatibility of our APIs. The /teams and /users api endpoints still exist but are now deprecated by the /workspaces endpoint. These legacy endpoints assume that every user has a workspace. When we turn off these endpoints at the end of this year then users will no longer require a workspace and can delete their old workspaces.

You should be able to delete any Workspace later this year when we turn off these APIs.

Patrick

Thomas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 13, 2021

Any news on when deleting this default/compatibility workspace will be possible?
As of now it appears to still not be possible...

Best regards
Thomas

Like # people like this
Stefan Adelsberger February 23, 2021

It's still not possible to delete these workspaces.

Like # people like this
James Black
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 12, 2021

Would like to know if this is possible yet

Like # people like this
KillahBillah12
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 16, 2021

Is it possible to delete them yet? Apparently I can't delete my account thanks to the workspaces, which seem to have attained god mode somehow.

Like # people like this
felix.weber December 16, 2021

seems still not possible :/ 

Boris Shkarupelov
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 8, 2022

Any updates on this issue ?

Like jcmoney likes this
Ayodeji Babalola
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 24, 2022

Updates please?

LEE YERIM
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 11, 2022

Is there any scheduled update on this?

B. A.
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 5, 2022

???

Admin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 22, 2022

need it too

Like # people like this
alexc
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 19, 2022

+1 here

tony_chen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 9, 2022

any new update on this?

Deleted user August 25, 2022

Any update on this issue? So many people raised it but no reply from the company

Like John Doe likes this
Sabri Yezli
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 4, 2023

I have the same issue,

1- I clicked on: All workspaces in the menu list under the your profile and settings.

2 I selected the workspace I want to delete and in the left menu I clicked on Settings.

3- Without making any changes I clicked on Update workspace button and delete workspace link appeared.

4- Clicked the link then Delete workspace button and confirmed delete.

BOOM, I got error message:

Something went wrong

While we check things on our end, try refreshing the page. If reloading the page doesn’t help, check our status stage for known incidents or planned maintenance.

If you are still experiencing issues, our support team can be reached via StatusPage. Use the code below when reporting your issue, this will help the team look up details of what went wrong:

TheCodeHasBeenChangedByMe: 3e12314sda2adxretrertrt56

7 votes
kwleungaj
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 28, 2020

For the workspace with your account name and username as the Worksapce name and Workspace ID, it should be kind of default workspace that cannot be deleted, as it does not provide the delete button.

However, for other workspaces that you have admin right, there should be a "Delete workspace" button under Workspace settings.

Steps to delete a workspace:

1. Click "Your profile and settings" on the bottom left corner 
  2. Click "All Workspaces" 
  3. Choose a workspace to be deleted
  4. Click "Settings"
  5. Click "Delete workspace"
  6. Click "Delete worksapce" again when confirmation page is shown*
  7. Click "Delete" when a confirmation pop-up is opened**
  8. Workspace deletion done!

* You will see "Deleting your workspace ${your_workspace_id} is permanent."

** You will see "This is a destructive operation. Delete workspace?"

delete_workspace.PNG

D May 29, 2020

Hi, we know that but our issue is that we don't have that option for our workspace even if we are the owner and the only member of that workspace.
You can check my answer above
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-questions/Re-How-to-delete-a-workspace/qaq-p/1374357/comment-id/54515#M54515

Like # people like this
Kevin Davis May 29, 2020

If the workspace with my username is default and not removable, that likely addresses the original issue I posted here. If I can't delete the unused workspace that's unfortunate, but oh well.

The underlying issue for me is a bit different. I had another user as a member of this "workspace" before it became a "workspace." They are permanently listed with a tile on the Members tab. I can go to Settings > Users on plan and remove them (which I've done). It says I have 1 user under plan details (me). But this person is still listed as a member on the members tab along with me. Do they have access or not? Who can say.

Annotation 2020-05-29 044844.pngAnnotation 2020-05-29 044930.png

This is the underlying reason why I wanted to delete this workspace in the first place; however I also don't use it and wish I didn't have to see it forever in any case. Since the users with access were ambiguous I had to remove all my repositories from this area anyway.

3 votes
Collin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 26, 2023

You can now delete all and any workspaces within your Bitbucket Cloud account. Thank you all for reaching out to our Community with your concerns. We look forward to hearing from you in the future. Cheers 

D January 27, 2023

Thank you so much! It works!

Kevin Davis January 27, 2023

This is not working for me, as noted higher in the thread the workspace is the one linked to my personal username and contains no repositories, but has a ghost of another user listed as a member that can never be removed. Because it was unclear what the access situation was on the workspace, I moved all my repositories elsewhere and don't want this workspace, or (if it's required) would like to utterly reset it so nobody has access.

I see the option to delete now and I follow it, including accepting the "this is destructive" warning. But after pressing the last button to confirm, the page refreshes and the workspace is still there, with that one other user who can never be removed. Other than the visibility of the delete option, there is no change.

Like Roman likes this
Roman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 27, 2023

Same problem. Workspace still exists after deletion. But workspace has no members except me.

2 votes
Deleted user May 1, 2021

I am so glad it is not just me finding it confusing. I just came over from Github and created eight workspaces in swift succession: so okay, maybe I should have read the documentation more carefully but the  main 'new account' prompt is 'create a workspace' - so now I want to delete the spares but there is no master list where you can delete them?! When you log into them there is no delete button - i hate it.

2 votes
D May 10, 2020

I have the same issue here, we moved our repo to another workspace.
At the moment I'm the admin and the only member of this workspace but I can't leave it or delete it.

image.pngimage.png

Venkat Rohit Akurati
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 28, 2022

Same problem @kwleungaj 

I do not have the delete button. Could you please check and let us know if this is still missing in the latest version of cloud.

0 votes
latasharma9 March 11, 2024

Any updates? Even though I am the Admin of a workspace which I no longer need, I am not able to delete it.

Learn to use March 11, 2024

@latasharma9 
Follow these steps
Go To Atlassian page 
Spaces 
View all Select the one and send the space to the trash 

Hope it helps. 

This is the message I keep getting: Deleting Administrators cannot be undone.

Okie. I was finally able to delete the workspace. Thanks.

Learn to use March 11, 2024

Great to hear that. 

0 votes
Shekhar Saini
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 22, 2022

"This is not a valid source path/URL" showing in Source Tree in MacBook Pro m1. Any body help me?? I have tried many solution but not able to clone my repo in my new laptop. 

0 votes
sayali yogesh more
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 11, 2021

Click on personal setting option below all workspaces ,in personal setting  page you will get delete account : )

Thomas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 11, 2021

But I don't want to delete the whole account, just the "private" workspace that was added to each account as a compatibility measure.

Like # people like this
0 votes
open24_hrapp
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 23, 2020

I have the same issue here,

0 votes
Chetankumar Dobariya
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 18, 2020

@Learn to use  Unfortunately, I did not find delete works space option while following your steps . can you shows some screenshot please?

0 votes
Chetankumar Dobariya
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 17, 2020

+1 

D May 17, 2020
0 votes
Bogdan Dmytrenko
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 12, 2020

Anybody got an answer?

D May 12, 2020

No, not me at least.

Bogdan Dmytrenko
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 12, 2020

=( atlassian becomes very difficult to use and not user-friendly...

Like # people like this
Learn to use May 17, 2020

Hi, 

I also tried to delete main workspace but didn't find delete but i create dummy workspace and was able to delete it.  Also I am not sure does bitbucket comes with default workspace? However, If you wanna delete newly created you can delete by going to your profile 

1. Click on your profile 
  2. Click on All Workspace 
  3. Click on workspace you wanted delete 
  4. Delete workspace done 
D May 17, 2020

Thanks @Learn to use but I have no problems with new workspaces, only with old ones

Kevin Davis May 18, 2020

It's possible this is some kind of "default" workspace that I can't remove. Given it is private and has no repositories and only 1 member (myself), it seems like I should be able to do this. Interestingly, when I go to the left bottom nav and choose "All workspaces" it lists 2 members, but when I manage it, it lists only one. Seems permanent for now.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events