Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a pull request for a new project which has already been committed to master?

js997 January 29, 2020

I have written a brand-new script that requires a code review.  Both the script and git repository are completely from scratch.  I am now at the point where I want my colleagues to be able to review my code.  Unfortunately, I would like to use bitbucket pull requests for the review, and it seems bitbucket is only designed to support development in branches.  Since this is a completely new thing in a brand new repository, I have been committing to master all along.  

I tried to fix this by creating a branch, making a minor change, and doing a pull request.  Only the tiny portion of the single file I changed after making the branch showed up in the Diff.  I want all my code there to review.

Next, I tried deleting everything in master, committing, and pushing to bitbucket (with everything still remaining in my branch).  Didn't work.  Bitbucket only showed the single file I edited after making the branch.  Also it showed a merge conflict in that same file on the pull request.  

I thought if I made a small edit to all files in the code_review branch, I could force them to show up.  Nope.  Only the tiny portion I edited for each file showed up in the Diff.  Also another merge conflict appeared, this time for each file I had edited.  

Questions:

Given this situation, how can I do a pull request with a diff showing ALL of my code?  I'm so frustrated I'm ready to delete the entire repo, create a new one from scratch, copy over and commit my code to the branch only, and see if that works.  I know bitbucket is not intended for this, I'll do it the right way in the future.  I just want a solution for now.  

Why does git keep giving me merge conflicts?  I changed the code; I want those files deleted.  What conflict is there?  I am the only person making changes to this repo.  

Finally, what is the correct way to do a pull request in bitbucket for a completely new feature?  Should I have created a branch immediately, committed all my work to that branch and the pulled into master when I finished?  

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events