How to create a new Repository in Bitbucket and code?

Hi,

I am new to Bitbucket.

My Admin has created a new Project PRS.  It's path is like http://server:port/projects/PRS. He said I can now be able to add code.

I need to create a Repository / folders like QA & PROD and add code in it. Could you please guide me in simple steps either through Git CMD or Git UI?

Thanks in advance.

David

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi David!

You can find step by step instructions on how to create a repository using the Bitbucket UI at Creating repositories. If you prefer to do it through the Git CMD, you can read Setting up a repository.

Once you've done that, you'll start coding. In this other article you'll learn how to get started with Git and Bitbucket and how to push your code to Bitbucket, visit Getting started with Git and Bitbucket Server.

Also, if you'd like to use a Git client, you can install Sourcetree which is free and available for Mac and Windows.

I hope this helps, David. Let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers,

Ana

Hi Ana!

Thank you very much! I will follow the steps.

I have a question : I dont see the option "Create Repository" from UI.  Can I be able to create a repository with command  line? (  assuming I dont have Project Admin Rights)

Thank you,

David

Hi David, when you click Repositories in the navigation bar, a menu will be displayed and you'll see your recent repos and the option to create a new one. If you can not see the Repositories button, you'll need to check with your admin if you have the right permissions. If you still don't see it, you can send a screenshot of what you see in your Bitbucket UI (remember to remove any sensitive information ;) )

If you prefer to do it via command line, you can use:

git init <directory>

That will create an empty Git repository in the specified directory. You can find more info at Setting up a repository.

Were you able to create a repository now?

Hi Ana, Thanks for the reply.

I have followed up with my Admin to provide "Project Admin" access. Now, I am able to see the option and able to create the Repository.

Before "Project Admin" access is given to me, I have tried using Command line but unable to doit.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 21, 2018 in Bitbucket

Branch Management with Bitbucket

As a project manager, I have discovered that different developers want to bring their previous branching method with them when they join the team. Some developers are used to performing individual wo...

1,346 views 8 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you