How to create a branch from a given commit in the Stash UI?

Given a certain commit, that is not referenced by an existing branch or tag, is it possible to create a new branch from that commit?

I know you can do this from Git...

I know you can also do this using the Branch Utils in the Stash API...

But I am specifically asking if it is possible to do this from the Stash UI itself?

I can branch from a tag or another branch, but I can't figure out how to branch from a little ol' commit hash.

Thanks

2 answers

1 votes

It can be done through the web UI.

When viewing the commit, add a tag (right hand side).

Click on the commit to view the commit history, then click the ellipsis next to the tag name and choose "Create branch from here"

Good tip! 

A clarification for the latest UI though (I couldn't find the things you describe)...

"Click on the commit to view the commit history, then click the ellipsis next to the tag name and choose "Create branch from here"

When you've created a tag, and need to create a branch from that tag, simply do this...

• Go to "Branches"
  • Click "Create Branch" (top right)
  • In the popup window, use the "Branch from" dropdown to select your tag
  • Add a name for your branch and click "Create"

You cannot do this from the Stash web UI, it only allows you to create branches at the tip of another branch.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

660 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot