Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to control/manage the master branch and how to fork?

Lionel Dyck December 7, 2020

We are using  Bitbucket on the bitbucket.org site and I have a few questions:

1. While I want my developers to be able to clone to their local workstation how can I prevent/restrict developers from committing to the master (or other branches)?
  2. I do not see a Fork option for any of our repositories - only Clone. Thus question 1.

What I would like is for each developer to Fork a repo and then when they are ready to get it into the main repository to generate a Pull request.

Can this be done?  If so, what am I missing?

TIA

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2020

Hi Lionel,

For 1., it is possible to create branch permissions (for master, or any other branch you want) and specify which users can push directly to this branch. The rest of them won't be able to do so.

You can read more on branch permissions and also find instructions on how to create them here:

For 2., while you are viewing the repo in Bitbucket Cloud website, select the + sign on the top left corner (right below the search sign):

Screenshot 2020-12-07 at 15.52.05.png

Then you'll see more options, including the Fork this repository:

Screenshot 2020-12-07 at 15.52.14.png

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

Kind regards,
Theodora

Lionel Dyck December 7, 2020

THANK YOU - this is perfect.

But:  Is there a way to make FORK more obvious (not in the + menu) ?

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 9, 2020

Hi Lionel,

You are very welcome!

Regarding the fork option, I'm afraid that it is not possible to configure where this option shows.

I can open a feature request for this if you'd like, for our product managers to take into account.

Where would you expect to find this option in the repository page?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Lionel Dyck December 9, 2020

How about a Clone pulldown with a Fork option?

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
December 22, 2020

Hi Lionel,

Thank you for the feedback and apologies for the delay in my reply.

I went ahead and created a feature request for this in our issue tracker:

Please make sure to add your vote there (by selecting the Vote for this issue link). You can also add yourself as a watcher by selecting the Start watching this issue link, if you'd like the get notified on updates.

Implementation of new features is done as per our policy here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/support/implementation-of-new-features-policy-201294576.html and any updates will be posted in the feature request ticket.

If you have any questions or need anything further, please feel free to let me know!

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events