Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to I create a cross repository pull request?

Peter Manoharan July 28, 2021

I have two repositories that frequently get changed together. Code in Repo B is dependent on Code in Repo A.

A pull request across both repositories needs to be raised at once to make sure that the pipelines execute with all the code required within the pipelines? Does Bitbucket have this feature?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 30, 2021

Hi, @Peter Manoharan

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

The only way to have a Pull Request on 2 repositories is using forks, so if one repo is not a fork of another, you won’t be able to accomplish this.

With that said, could you please give us some further information on your use case, to see if you can achieve what you want in a different way? Specifically:

• How do these PRs run in each of these repos? Do you have pipelines that run on certain branches? Or on PRs?

• Can you give a specific example of what you would like to achieve with regards to Pipelines if you were able to open a Pull Request from one repo to another?

• Do you want the build to have both repositories?

• Do you want to run multiple builds, one in each repository? Or do you want to run just one build?

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Caroline

Peter Manoharan July 30, 2021

Hi @Caroline R ,

Thanks for your response. our use case is that we have a number of projects that have dependency projects in other repositories.

Both the main repository and the dependent repository will frequently have changes that go hand in hand and therefore need to be checked in together.

The dependency will need to compile on it's own. The main repository will only compile with the right version of the dependency.

We have pull requests that trigger pipelines to ensure code quality which means that commits across projects are tied together otherwise the project with dependencies will fail to complete and run tests.

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks for your help with this.

Peter.

Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2021

Hi, @Peter Manoharan

Thanks for getting back to me! It's not possible to create a pull request across repositories. Pull requests are only possible within a repo or to the parent (if it’s a forked repository, not sure if it's your case). 

However, if you would like to execute the Pipeline in one repository based on a commit/Pipeline build in another repository, you can achieve it using the "Bitbucket trigger pipeline" pipe in your pipeline's final step. 

I hope this helps, but do let me know if you have any questions. 

Kind regards,

Caroline

Peter Manoharan August 12, 2021

Hi Caroline, thanks so much for this.

Peter.

Like Caroline R likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events