Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Cache Tools in Bitbucket Pipelines for Ubuntu 20.04 Builds

홍창기 March 6, 2024

I'm using Bitbucket Pipelines and I have a question about it.

I want to build my repository on Ubuntu 20.04. The essential tools I need are as follows:

• gcc 9, g++ 9
  • cmake
  • openjdk8, openjdk17, openjre17
  • ant

I am currently installing all the software each time I build using the following command:

apt-get update && apt-get install -y gcc-9 g++-9 cmake openjdk-8-jdk openjdk-17-jre openjdk-17-jdk ant

This is inefficient.

I want to know how to cache the tools I've installed once. How should I write my bitbucket-pipelines.yml?

Below is part of my yml file

image: atlassian/default-image:latest

pipelines:
  default:
    - step:
        name: Build on Ubuntu 20.04
        image: ubuntu:20.04
        script:
          - apt-get update && apt-get install -y gcc-9 g++-9 cmake openjdk-8-jdk openjdk-17-jre openjdk-17-jdk ant

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 8, 2024

Hi @홍창기 and welcome to the community!

The recommended approach for your use case is to create a custom Docker image with the tools you need and use that as a build environment instead of ubuntu:20.04.

If you install Docker on your computer, you can build an image from a Dockerfile like the following:

FROM ubuntu:20.04
RUN apt-get update && apt-get install -y gcc-9 g++-9 cmake openjdk-8-jdk openjdk-17-jre openjdk-17-jdk ant

You can then create an account and a repo in Dockerhub and push the image you build to this repo. If the repo's name is e.g. myaccount/myimage:latest, then you can use that in your yml file's step instead of ubuntu:20.04.

It is not necessary to use Dockerhub, you could also use another Docker registry. We support public and private Docker images including those hosted on Docker Hub, AWS, GCP, Azure, and self-hosted registries accessible on the internet.

You can find more details here:

There is a section with the title Creating a custom build environment near the end of this page with more resources.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Theodora

홍창기 March 17, 2024

@Theodora Boudale Thank you. I going to try this. Have a good day

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2024

You are very welcome @홍창기, please feel free to let me know if you encounter any issues.

Have a nice day too!

Like Sabine Mayer likes this
1 vote
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2024

It is possible to cache Docker images and many other artifacts:

https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/cache-dependencies/

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events