How exactly are you simplifying my login experience?

Gilberto Torrezan June 13, 2016

Ok, today I was going to login to Bitbucket and suddenly I was presented with the message:

"Hey Gilberto, we're simplifying your login experience!

Soon you'll be able to log in to any Atlassian Cloud app using your Atlassian account.  To help you prepare, we need you to confirm your account by entering the Atlassian account password for (my corporate e-mail).  Once confirmed, you'll use this to log in to Bitbucket."

And it's not an option. I can't just ignore it and continue my old and simple Google auth workflow.

So, let's see. Before that migration I could sign in with my Google Account (or with my corporate e-mail which is managed by Google Apps for Work), with literally one click and I was in. Now I have to setup a password, remember it (oh hell no, one more password to remember, that's what I was avoiding in the first place by using Google auth), and type it everytime. So, a question: how exactly are you simplifying my login experience?

2 answers

3 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2016

Obviously no approach is ideal for everyone. I'm not an Atlassian employee, and I still saw relatively frequent complaints from users that they had to have different accounts for different Atlassian services (Bitbucket, JIRA, Answers, etc) so Atlassian has created a general Atlassian account that can be used across all the platforms.

For these users, it's simpler to have one account than 3+.

So no, they are not simplifying your login experience. That's just marketing language for "we're simplifying the typical user's login experience".

1 vote
Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 13, 2016

Hi Gilberto,

Thanks for your question! Don't worry, once you've upgraded your account to use Atlassian account, you will still be able to use Google auth to log in (using the Google auth account that matches the email on your Atlassian account).

More broadly, Atlassian account will soon enable you to use one set of login details to log in to all your Atlassian Cloud services - Bitbucket, JIRA, Confluence, and HipChat.

Thanks!

Alastair

Gilberto Torrezan June 13, 2016

I just migrated my account because, well, I had no other option, and now my account setup is a mess: I can't configure multiple e-mails on Atlassian account, which forces me to use my personal e-mail for corporate access. Till today I used the same Bitbucket account for personal and corporate projects, since I can manage multiple e-mails and logins at same time. But now with Atlassian account, I don't have that option - unless I create a separate account (which includes BitBucket) for everything.

I'm still waiting to be convinced that you're really simplifying my login experience.

Lloyd Summers August 18, 2016

I'm in the same boat.  Now it has decided I need to login using a different email address, and I can't use my gmail anymore.

When I check the account settings though, it shows it IS configured as my gmail address.  When I try to login with that gmail address, I get an error and told to use my other email address.

This is why I don't use Bitbucket and just rolled my own gitservers for our teams.  Has it not dawned on them that maybe some of us like to keep our accounts separated for a reason?

And why, when I try to reply here and post on here, do I get an error saying "undefined"?  Great job Atlassian, really raised the bar on this one ...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events