Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does two-factor authentication affect authentication for scripts running in pipelines?

BSYF
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 12, 2022

Hello, 

We have a question about how turning on two-factor authentication in Bitbucket accounts will affect our pipeline scripts. 

First, in the Build Setup section (which is BitBucket's code) there is a line that runs git clone with "https://x-token-auth:..." access. 

git clone --branch="master" --depth 50 https://x-token-auth:$REPOSITORY_OAUTH_ACCESS_TOKEN@bitbucket.org/$BITBUCKET_REPO_FULL_NAME.git $BUILD_DIR

In the documentation for turning on two-step verification (2FA), it says "Enabling two-step verification will disable all remote HTTPS actions for Git and the Bitbucket API. Any applications which use HTTPS to access Bitbucket will be impacted." 

I'm imagining that the above clone action will not be impacted, but want to be sure I understand why. 

And, I have the same question about scripts that we run in our pipelines. Do we have initiate an SSH session before running git clone in our scripts, or are we already running in SSH?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Josh

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2022

Hey @BSYF 

G'DAy!

The pipeline build setup uses internal authentication and not your personal authentication, so any changes on your account will not affect the build setup.

As for your script, you don't need to initiate SSH sessions before running the git clone. Git clone will automatically look for what your git config is before cloning via HTTPS or SSH.

Please check our guide below on how to clone/push back to your repositories via HTTPS or SSH at:

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Cheers,
Syahrul

BSYF
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 17, 2022

Thank you Syahrul, very helpful to know this. 

With Best Regards,
Josh

Like Syahrul likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events