How does Stash resolve effective permissions when a user in multiple groups?

Alex Jones June 2, 2015

If I have a user in multiple groups Read_Write and Read, and apply permissions at the project level How does stash resolve the effective permissions? Is it a basic union of the different permission sets, or is there some form of hierarchy/resolution order?

I skimmed through the permissions documentation in confluence, but I didn't see anything that seems to mention how this was resolved.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2015

Repo permissions do not override Project permissions.  Project and Repo permissions are basically additive.  You will have the highest level of permission that any of your group memberships give you, whether that group was defined at the Project or Repo level.

This plugin is useful for seeing what the overall resulting set of permisons on a repo are: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.orbitz.stash.plugins.permission-viewer-plugin

Anurag Prakash June 2, 2015

Thank you for correcting me.

0 votes
Anurag Prakash June 2, 2015

There are two level permission

1. Project Level
  2. Repository level

I think, repository level permission overrides project level permission.

You can test as below.

1. Add group A to a repository, provide R permission.
  2. Add group B to the project, provide RW permission.
    where the user is part of both groups, A and B

Your should have R only access to the repo under test, but RW access to other repos under the same project.

Hope this helps.

Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2015

This is incorrect. Project permissions are just applied to all repos in that project. Lacking a 'write' or 'admin' permission on a repo will not override the user's project level permissions. Also, the question was about permissions from different groups at the project level. In which case the user will end up with the highest level of permission from any of their groups.

Alex Jones June 2, 2015

Thanks for the help!

Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2015

I would suggest that you actually perform the test as described, because I have, and the results were not what Anurag thinks they would be.

Alex Jones June 2, 2015

I've done that one before, and agree with you. I was thanking you for your answer to his answer.

Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2015

cool, thanks, just didn't want wrong info to propogate

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events