Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I unmerge bitbucket accounts?

Ivor Paul August 31, 2021

I did contract work for a company many years ago. I had my own bitbucket account with various repositories, and I was also a member of various other workspaces. 

Then I joined this company and changed my email address to my company email address. I imagined that there would be good separation of "stuff from work" and "personal stuff" and I was only changing which email address I am using to log in.

What I did not realise is that the company admin seems to be the account admin for my personal stuff as well now?
If I go to my "account settings" I now get "Email address is set by your admin" which seems like I cannot undo what I did when I changed my email address. 

Is there a way I can split those off from the company ones onto an account where I have full control. 

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Mark C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 2, 2021

Hi @Ivor Paul

Thank you for reaching out to the community.

I'm afraid it's not possible to unmerge Bitbucket Cloud accounts as Bitbucket Cloud is not actually merging accounts.
What happened is that, you only switched or changed your primary email address for your Bitbucket account to your work email.
However, I'm afraid if your email address associated with your Atlassian account is managed by your organization, you won't be able to change it on your end.
You will need to reach out to your organization admins to change your email address.
Also, please note that your organization admins can only manage your Atlassian account responsible for authentication to Bitbucket Cloud.
They won't be able to manage your personal workspace or repositories.

To separate your work-related repositories from your personal repositories, the best I can suggest is for you to create a new personal Bitbucket Cloud account.
After that, if you have repositories in your Bitbucket Cloud work account's individual workspace, you can transfer them to your other personal Bitbucket Cloud account.
This way, you have full control over your personal Bitbucket Cloud account separately from your work account.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Mark C

Ivor Paul September 2, 2021

Thanks Mark. I didn't quite realise the implications of changing my email address. I'll create a new account for my personal stuff and transfer the repositories to that account. Appreciate the feedback. 

Mark C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 2, 2021

Sure, Ivor.
Let me know if you have any questions that I can help with.

Regards,
Mark

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events