How do I remove an ssh key from an old bitbucket work account?

freemanvt June 13, 2017

I added my ssh key to a bit bucket account associated with a work email address. I no longer work there and don't have access to that work email and also don't know the password for the old work email. I'm unable to add my ssh key to my personal account. Anyway round this?

2 answers

2 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2017

Hi Nai! If you don't have access to your work Bitbucket account you won't be able to remove the SSH key. You'll need to create a new SSH key for your other Bitbucket account, as explained at Set up SSH for git.

Hope this helps!

Ana

freemanvt June 14, 2017

Thanks, make sense

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2017

Glad I could help :)

Sarath Pillai February 18, 2019

I have the private key but don't have access to the account , this would make the key pair useless for bitbucket anyways . A way to remove public key would be great 

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
February 18, 2019

Hi @Sarath Pillai, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. So you have the private key but don't have the password for the Bitbucket account? Do you still have access to the email? If so, you could reset the password.

If you still need help, can you describe a bit more what's happening? 

Cheers, 

Ana

Sarath Pillai February 18, 2019

I have used my public key for company account, since I left the company I don't have access to the account anymore. 

But since my public key is in that account i can not use my key in new bitbucket account 

In this situation I would like to remove the public key from the old account so that i can use it for new account

Reynold Lariza March 16, 2020

I have the same issue.

I had a very old domain several years ago, and stopped renewing it, with that said, I already have forgotten it. Now I have a client that's using Bitbucket, I thought I'd add my ssh key to this new acct. Unfortunately, Bitbucket complains, I can't add it (It came out that, the same ssh-key now I have, is the same ssh-key that is in the old, no-longer maintained acct).

Are there any way I can remove the SSH-key on that "no longer maintained" acct? As I no longer have that domain. I can't change my ssh-key, as I'm using it in a lot of servers.  

Miiro_Seppänen May 12, 2020

Hi, 

I'm also having same issue, the solution would be appreciated. I tried to add new ssh key but for some reason I think it's getting interfered with the existing old company associated account.

I managed to log in to the account created with company email and deleted it. Now the old handle is associated to this new account. Maybe this causes the issues. Is there some delay when the ssh keys on deleted accounts get "freed"? What to do?  When I try to submit the current rsa to bitbucket settings I get notified that "Someone has already added that SSH key.". 

Can I get some guidance to remove the SSH key properly or way to clear the ssh setup in bitbucket end.

Christoph Hautzinger August 11, 2020

same problem for me. would be nice to have an option to drop public keys with the help of private key in any way. actually connecting with ssh is possible and i receive the old repos. but i cannot add my ssh key to my new profile. using an 2nd ssh key ist not feasible

Pawel "Akaha" Poskrobko June 13, 2021

> If you don't have access to your work Bitbucket account you won't be able to remove the SSH key.

That's some insane bullshit. Fix your system, instead of forcing users to create tons of SSH keys. If I had keys from 5 devices added to my account do you expect me to create another set of 5 keys just because this was a company account and I no longer work there?

Aastha shrivastava December 16, 2021

I am facing same issue, creating multiple ssh keys doesn't really seem as a feasible option.

0 votes
Punna August 4, 2022

how to remove ssh key from bitbucket

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events