Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I push to production with Pipelines?

VaelVictus April 3, 2020

For a few years now I've been using webhooks to hit an endpoint on my server (a digitalocean droplet) that git-pulls and then builds my frontend compiled .js files. I use PHP for backend and React/Svelte for front. This has been fairly janky and insecure throughout the years. Now I'm on a new server that doesn't have enough RAM to run the build command, so I look to Pipelines.

All I want to do is this:

1. When I push to Master, run npm run build on the repo.
  2. Do a git pull on my server through Pipelines, getting all the new files from the push and the newly compiled .js file. I'm aware this should require an SSH Key, which I have.

Very simple, no automated testing. But I've gone through docs and I've watched a 30-minute video where people just seem to skip the whole "actually go to server" part. And maybe this is why: https://www.deployhq.com/ Do I really need another service to push to my server?

I have a pipeline working, I just don't know what to do with the final compiled .js file.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2020

Hello @VaelVictus ,

Simply speaking, Pipelines run commands of your scripts inside of specified Docker container, so you can do whatever that image can do. Nothing stops you from ssh-ing directly to your VPS or rsync-ing files over, or implementing any other delivery mechanism you can think of — right from your pipeline. Pipelines are aware of deployments, so you can get a nice overview of your environments without using any third party services.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Daniil

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events