Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get rid of the default .gitignore?

HallowellEMC September 7, 2020

An option flashed by me that I didn't uncheck, and now my repositories are created with a default .gitignore that prevents normal operation. I can't check in a new repo because the "histories are unrelated".

How do I shut off that "feature" of generating the default .gitignore (which doesn't have anything in it that I need). 

How can I get passed this problem checking in my source?

And not so important, but .. why doesn't search turn up anything about it?

Thanks

Chris

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
HallowellEMC September 8, 2020

Found how to delete a file, but had to delete the repo, then recreate it choosing not to include a .gitignore -- which should not be "recommended" as it is particular to the project -- and got things working.

A default .gitignore is not helpful, in my view.  It instantly puts your repo you're trying to set up at odds with the bitbucket. Even if the contents of .gitignore were exactly what you needed, you are instantly out of sync with the bitbucket version of the repo from what you have locally.

Just don't see how that helps. How do you actually take advantage of it?

Chris

Michael Willey September 27, 2020

I agree. I hate it when tech companies think the're helping you, but actually make your life more difficult.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Michael Willey September 27, 2020

Steps to dealing with this incredibly intrusive addition without deleting the repo...

1) Manually delete it from the BB repo page (go to the file page, three dots, 'Delete') and commit

2) From your local terminal, git pull origin master --allow-unrelated-histories

3) Push as normal, git push -u origin master

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events