cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
  • Community
  • Products
  • Bitbucket
  • Questions
  • How do I delete a branch that was created after using the Bitbucket edit/create pull request function (delete branch option is greyed out)?

How do I delete a branch that was created after using the Bitbucket edit/create pull request function (delete branch option is greyed out)?

Steve Muskiewicz June 5, 2013

We have a branch in a git repo on our Bitbucket that we are unable to delete ("Delete branch" option under the gear icon is greyed out). Not sure if this is specific to what we did to create it but I'd like to figure out how we can delete it.

The branch originally got created by using the Bitbucket online editor, then committing and checking the "create pull request from commit" option. We then tested by declining the pull request.

Shouldn't we be able to still delete this branch? If so, how? (git commands for doing this would be acceptable, I'm still fairly new to git and none of the branch deletion commands I've tried have worked but it's possible I'm doing them wrong).

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Steve Muskiewicz August 6, 2013

Hi Jesse,

Thanks, I found that I needed to use a slightly different command:

git push origin :<branchName>

Not sure if that's due to a difference in versions of git, but it did work.

Thanks for your help!

-steve

Jon_Spencer March 10, 2020

This command does not delete a branch and ti is the wrong command syntax.  I have no idea why it was accepted.  The command below from @Tabrej Shekh is correct.

nasimkaiser November 13, 2020

Can we delete a branch from the bitbucket web application without running the command.

0 votes
jyo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 6, 2013

Hi Steve,

You will want to use the following to delete a remote branch:

git push --origin delete <branchName>

Make sure you have the correct branch permissions set under the 'Branch management' admin menu (click on the 'gear' icon) but if this does not work, tell us, and we can look in your remote git config to make sure you don't have any flags that are preventing you from deleting a branch.

Cheers,

Jesse

Tabrej Shekh April 19, 2018

git push origin --delete <branchName>

Like # people like this
Jon_Spencer March 10, 2020

This is the correct command.  At least, it is what I use and it works git version 2.21.1 (Apple Git-122.3).  I unfortunately have had to use it several times in the last few days.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events