How do I connect a Bitbucket repository with a Jira Cloud project?

I have followed the instructions to enable Bitbucket and JIRA integration in the Cloud, which all seems fine.

I was expecting to find a JIRA Project configuration allowing me to specify which Bitbucket repository(ies) were related to that project, or alternatively a Bitbucket repo configuration to point to a JIRA project.

But I can't find this anywhere, all I can see is (in JIRA) under DVCS accounts, a repository mentioned. But this is in the non-project specific configurations.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/connect-bitbucket-cloud-to-jira-cloud-applications-814190686.html

What am I misunderstanding or missing?

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Accepted answer

Hi Daniel!

In that case you might want to do it from the JIRA site. To link a project to a repository, select Projects in the top navigation bar and choose the JIRA project you want to connect to Bitbucket Cloud. Then choose Add source code and enter the URL of the repository. You can find this information at Connect JIRA Cloud to Bitbucket Cloud.

Hope this helps :)

Ana

Thanks, that's what I was missing.

It does not show up the "Add source code" for me. And I already added the Jira plugin in BitBucket. What else am I missing here?

@Ana Retamal Ortiz can you please update the documentation on how to do this? I cannot find the add source code either. Thanks

Please update documentation. There is no "add source code" option.

For anyone that runs across this post, this is how I was able to successfully link a BitBucket Server 5.14.1 project to a Jira 7.12.3 Project:

• From the Project Settings page (Projects from the Settings Cog at the Top Right)
  • Select the project, in the list on the page that appears, that you wish to modify
  • At the very bottom of the page, there is a section called Settings that contains a link to Configure Project Links
  • After clicking that anchor, you will be able to configure the link to this project by clicking the Add Link (top right of empty list) and choosing the server that you wish to connect to
  • For me, I chose BitBucket Server and was presented with a module that ask for the name or key
  • If you start typing, you will see the list begin to populate with your BitBucket projects

I hope this helps someone.  I only have these versions of Jira and BitBucket.  I am not a heavy tester, I am just a user.  I will not be able to help much with the changes and different GUI options that Atlassian post each week.  :)

I've tried this operation with Bitbucket Server v5.12.0 but I haven't found the project link (aka. EntityLink).
Is it only available for versions of Bitbucket >= 5.14.1?

I can't find a "Add source code" or "Add repository" button in the suggested places. Has it moved again? I already connected Jira and Bitbucket.

Do we need to install an plugin for this? Something like "Git integration for Jira"

Thanks for your help. Maybe it would be helpful to keep documentation up to date or at least tell us when it was last updated.

So one month passed and we used Jira in the meantime.

There are two ways of linking your Jira and your Bitbucket project:

1. via bitbucket account or team Settings -> Find integrations -> Jira
  2. in every Jira project Add Item -> Repository

First one will enable you to use commit messages like "IB-2 #done" which will link the commit to the issue IB-2 in Jira.

The second one just creates a link to your Bitbucket repo so you can just switch over to your bitbucket repo with one click.

And thats all integration there is that I could find.

Ah, looks like something has changed since your post from over a month ago.

There is no settings > find integrations > jira in bitbucket.

And there is no add item > repository in jira.

Par for the course with Atlassian these days. Everything has dramatically changed and the documentation hasn't kept pace. I can't find a damn thing anymore. 😤

For anyone that runs across this post, this is how I was able to successfully link a BitBucket Server 5.14.1 project to a Jira 7.12.3 Project:

• From the Project Settings page (Projects from the Settings Cog at the Top Right)
  • Select the project, in the list on the page that appears, that you wish to modify
  • At the very bottom of the page, there is a section called Settings that contains a link to Configure Project Links
  • After clicking that anchor, you will be able to configure the link to this project by clicking the Add Link (top right of empty list) and choosing the server that you wish to connect to
  • For me, I chose BitBucket Server and was presented with a module that ask for the name or key
  • If you start typing, you will see the list begin to populate with your BitBucket projects

I hope this helps someone.  I only have these versions of Jira and BitBucket.  I am not a heavy tester, I am just a user.  I will not be able to help much with the changes and different GUI options that Atlassian post each week.  :)

1 vote

AddRepo.png

This doesn't work for me. Only the shortcut option appears. :/

Hello Ana, I am trying hard to find the location within the project that you are suggesting however, no luck. Could you be more specific or is there a white paper on how to connect JIRA project to a specific Bitbucket repo. .. I am running JIRA 7.5.3 (server) and Bitbucket Academic Cloud option. Thank you, Denis 

Hi Denis,

Unfortunately, documentation is not updated and I struggled as well to connect my repo with the JIRA project.

You have to find these options in the left navigation bar:

Issues

Releases

Add Item

Settings

Then, under Settings, you would find link to add repo.

Hope this helps.

• At the very bottom of the page, there is a section called Settings that contains a link to Configure Project Links

I hope this helps someone.  I only have these versions of Jira and BitBucket.  I am not a heavy tester, I am just a user.  I will not be able to help much with the changes and different GUI options that Atlassian post each week.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 06, 2018 in Bitbucket

Upgrade Best Practices

Hello! My name is Mark Askew and I am a Premier Support Engineer for products Bitbucket Server/Data Center, Fisheye & Crucible. Today, I want to bring the discussion that Jennifer, Matt, and ...

1,905 views 7 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you