How do I clone when I have an Atlassian managed account?

gbrown October 22, 2019

My employer uses Okta's SSO service in conjuction with the Atlassian cloud offering. But I did not know this. So when on site with a client, they sent me an invitation to their cloud repo. I clicked Accept, and immediately Okta authenticated me, and created an Atlassian managed account for me. So far so good...

Now I need to clone their repo. I enter git clone ... in the shell, and... I'm prompted for a password. But which password?

Atlassian won't accept my Okta password. And I can't set a password because my account is "managed".

Surely this scenario must have been tested. How do I authenticate with from the command line with a managed account?

1 answer

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2019

Hello @gbrown,

In case you're using SSO, you can use app password for accessing repositories. However, I'd recommend to set up SSH key and use SSH protocol for Git instead.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Daniil

Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 25, 2022

This answer still applies? there is no way to improve user experience to avoid having two different passwords? one for git and one for single sign on via website? ;(

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events