cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I add additional setup steps to services in Bitbucket Pipelines

Haley Loyd
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 16, 2019

I'm using Bitbucket Pipelines to run integration tests. I need to spin up a docker container to mimic the database so the tests can run. However, before I can run the tests, I need to add seed data to the database.

It seems like whether I add the mongo images as a service or add docker as a service, I still have to figure out a way to do the setup in the image from the script section of the default step, which is in a separate container.

That seems like a lot of unnecessary work, so my question is, is there an easier way? 

For example:

image: dotnet

pipelines:
default:
- step:
services:
- database
script:
- dotnet restore
- dotnet build

definitions:
services:
database:
image: mongo
<it would be really nice if I could add setup steps here>

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tom Bradshaw
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2019

Hey Haley,

At the moment it's not possible to run commands against a service. To get around this you'll probably have to construct a custom docker image. In this custom image you would be able to run a script to add the data you require as part of the docker build so you won't have to run anything as part of the build.

Can I also get you to add a feature request for running script commands against services at https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issues/ since this is an interesting feature that others might want as well.

If you have any questions let me know.

Cheers,
Tom

Haley Loyd
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 17, 2019

I created a feature request like you requested. Thank you for your answer, Tom!

Like Sebastián Orellana likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events