Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I access the bitbucket admin area and view Global permissions

peterbaxter June 18, 2021

Hi there,

Apologies up front as I am a novice user here - but I can't find out how to access the "Admin Area> Global Permissions" in my cloud bitbucket.

I need to create a new user and I can't find out where to do that and apply permissions does anyone know?

P.

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 21, 2021

Hello,

The "Global permissions" page is available in Bitbucket Server / Data Center, the UI in Bitbucket Cloud is different. Additionally, in Bitbucket Cloud, users need to create an account themselves, it is not possible for admins to create an account for their users.

Please allow me to explain more about user management in Bitbucket Cloud:

In Bitbucket Cloud, repositories are owned by a workspace.
Each workspace has its own billing plan and user management is done on the workspace level.

You can
1. Log in to https://bitbucket.org/
2. Go to your avatar (top right corner) > All workspaces
3. Select the workspace you want to manage users for
3. Select Settings from the left-hand column, and then User groups

You will see in there some default user groups, and you can create additional ones if you like.

If you select a user group, you will be able to view its settings and users that belong to it, and also invite new users to this user group.

While viewing the details of a user group, you can see the type of access this user group gets to newly created repositories, whether it has permissions to create new repositories in the workspace, and also if it has admin permissions in the workspace.

You can change any of these settings by selecting the "Edit" link at the top right corner (while viewing a specific user group).

E.g. if you don't want a specific user group to automatically get access to new repositories in this workspace, you can change "Default repository access" option to "None", and then manually add the user group to repos that you want it to access (I'll explain later how).

Inviting a user to a user group

If you'd like to add a user to a specific user group, then open this user group and you will see a tab named "Members" at the bottom of the page.

There is a field where you can add someone's email so that they are added to this group.
This person is going to receive an invitation email. They'll need to follow the link in this email to accept the invitation before they get access.
If they don't have a Bitbucket Cloud account already, they'll first get prompted to create one, and then they'll be able to accept the invitation.

Inviting a user to a repo

In Bitbucket Cloud, it is also possible to add a user to a certain repo only.

To do that, you can open a Bitbucket Cloud repository, select Repository settings from the left-hand column, and then User and group access.

In the Users section of this page, you can add a user's email and the type of access you want to give them, and an invitation will be sent to them.

On that same page, section Groups, you can add a certain User group to the repo, if this User group has "Default repository access" set to "None".

Here are a few links from our documentation, which you may find useful:

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know!

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events