How could a commit to a repository show the user name as "unknown"?

Here is an example line from the repository commits page:

unknown

da25fef

TUEV list of open points, 2014-02-21.

21 hours ago

I will attach the commit data and the repository permissions settings after this is created.

Thank you,

John

4 answers

1 accepted

Hi John,

Currently in Stash we don't do any user lookup from a Git commit author to a Stash user. So the "unknown" string is what the committer of that change has as their 'user.name' git property on their local machine.

You might be interested in:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH-3235

We've just started looking at this potentially in Stash 2.12, although I can't promise anything.

Charles

I believe you are correct. I just asked the project team if they know who modified the file listed in the commit.

We think we found the user. I'll be accepting your answer next.

Thank you.

Repository permissions page. It sure is hard to post a question with attachments. I hope you can see all this.

Try to use a commit checker:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.isroot.stash.plugin.yacc

and require committer name and email to match Stash user

Has this been explored further and/or fixed in a later version of Stash? This is an issue we are also facing and would like to see a fix to without having to install a third party plug-in.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

1,840 views 1 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you