How could a commit to a repository show the user name as "unknown"?

jcurleyWR
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2014

Here is an example line from the repository commits page:

unknown

da25fef

TUEV list of open points, 2014-02-21.

21 hours ago

I will attach the commit data and the repository permissions settings after this is created.

Thank you,

John

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2014

Hi John,

Currently in Stash we don't do any user lookup from a Git commit author to a Stash user. So the "unknown" string is what the committer of that change has as their 'user.name' git property on their local machine.

You might be interested in:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH-3235

We've just started looking at this potentially in Stash 2.12, although I can't promise anything.

Charles

jcurleyWR
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 5, 2014

I believe you are correct. I just asked the project team if they know who modified the file listed in the commit.

We think we found the user. I'll be accepting your answer next.

Thank you.

0 votes
Chas Berndt October 20, 2014

Has this been explored further and/or fixed in a later version of Stash? This is an issue we are also facing and would like to see a fix to without having to install a third party plug-in.

0 votes
Flavio Beck August 6, 2014

Try to use a commit checker:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.isroot.stash.plugin.yacc

and require committer name and email to match Stash user

0 votes
jcurleyWR
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2014

Repository permissions page. It sure is hard to post a question with attachments. I hope you can see all this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events