Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i deploy an artifact manually to whichever environment I choose.

Website Admin July 8, 2021

I am currently migrating from Bamboo server to Bitbucket Cloud with pipelines. It appears that I need to write the deployment process into my pipeline. What I am hoping to do is replicate the current setup I have now in Bamboo server.

When I commit my code, the build runs and produces an artifact. (A zip file containing my php website)

I can then deploy that artifact to my test, staging, and production environments using the deploy feature on Bamboo. I can deploy at whatever time I choose after the artifact is done. Can anyone explain how I can achieve this in bitbucket pipelines?

1 answer

0 votes
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2021

Hi, @Website Admin!

First, I would like to share with you that Bitbucket Pipelines uses YAML, if you're not familiar with it you can check this doc:

It has info on keywords used in the yml file, the structure and examples of yml files. 

Answering your question about deploying an artifact manually to whichever environment you choose, you can first include in your yml file one step that does the build and generates the artifact. You'll need to define in the yml file as per this doc.:

Then, you can configure 3 deployment environments in your repo:

And add 3 respective deployments steps in the yml file, with trigger: manual (the example in the above doc. also has some deployment steps with trigger: manual) so you can run them manually later.

A note for manual steps from our doc:

Manual steps:
It can only be executed in the order that they are configured. You cannot skip a manual step.
It can only be executed if the previous step has successfully completed.

Now, if you would like some info on how to deploy from Pipelines:

If you're deploying to your own server, you can take a look at some of the pipes we have here: 

E.g. you could set up SSH and use either of these pipes:

If you want to use FTP you could use this pipe:

I hope this helps, but do let me know if you have any questions. 

Kind regards,
Caroline

Website Admin July 12, 2021

Thank you for the detailed comment. I will get back to you once implemented 

Like Caroline R likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events