Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I set one of my email aliases as default for a repository/project?

boyanyordanov July 24, 2017

Git is configered with correct email address and user name and they show up fine in commits I push to the repository. However I noticed that for actions done trough the website Bitbucket uses my default email and name. 

For example in a merge commit (done from the site) there is: 

Approved by: My Bitbucket Name <default-email> 

I would like to use one of my alliases as the email for this particular repository and or project.

Is that possible?

Thank you!

1 answer

1 vote
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2017

Hi Boyan, I'm not sure if I'm following your description correctly. Are you saying you'd like Bitbucket to show the same email address and username that you've configured locally in your computer for Git?

Bitbucket uses the email address and username that are set as main for Bitbucket. If you want, you can change this email address and username at https://bitbucket.org/account/user/<username>/. If you want it to display a different email address or username only for a specific repository that's not possible at the moment, you'll need to create a different Bitbucket account and push from that one.

At the moment it's not possible to have multiple email addreses linked to your Bitbucket account. If you'd like, you can submit a Feature request to make it possible to have several aliases added to a Bitbucket account in our public issue tracker.

Hope this helps!

Ana

boyanyordanov July 25, 2017

That's exactly what I want. I thought I can excape the complexity of multiple accounts by using email aliases, but for certain actions they are not the case.

Actually it's a bit simpler, I just want one of the aliases to be associated with particular repositories, so that it appears in commit messages made from the site.

Currently as a workaround I made my company email address primary (for code reviews etc) and for personal repositories I just use bitbucket as storage and interact with it only trough the git client.

Charlie January 7, 2018

@boyanyordanov did you ever submit that feature request? If not, I will submit one.

I also have a problem of Bitbucket using the wrong email address approving merge commits, and would like to be able to choose which one is used!

beruic August 22, 2018

I agree completely @Charlie. Will you direct me to the feature request so I can support it.

Charlie August 26, 2018

@beruic I didn't create a feature request because I didn't hear back from Boyan Yordanov. However it's still something I would like, so if you want to create the request I'll vote for it.

Wim Deblauwe December 20, 2018

I went ahead and created https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issues/17810/allow-setting-default-email-address-per as I could not find any issue about it. Feel free to comment/vote for it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events