Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I restrict release branch push and still allow release branch creation?

Sander Mol March 17, 2021

As a developer, following the git-flow, it is expected to have a release branch at the end of your iteration. It sometimes happens that on the release branch some specific fixes have to be applied on the RC. In order to manage this, we want to make sure this is reviewed with pull requests as this will eventually be merged back into master.

The current branching model only allows us to restrict any read (creating branch + committing). We do want the user that is going to define the release branch, to be able to at least create the release branch, but we never want anyone to directly push to it.

Would this be possible? If not, how do you deal with this shortcoming?

1 answer

1 vote
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 19, 2021

Hi @Sander Mol ,

I recently saw a similar question about the same thing from another user, and I spoke to one of the Bitbucket developers regarding this.

This seems to be a bug, as setting up 'Write access' to 'None' for release/* branches should not prevent branch creation, but only users pushing to these branches.

We have a ticket about this in our issue tracker:

I would suggest to add your vote in that ticket (by selecting the Vote for this issue link) and also add yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link), if you'd like to get notified on updates. I'm afraid we don't provide ETAs, but when this is fixed, an update is going to be posted in that public ticket.

In the meantime, the workaround I can suggest would be to (temporarily, perhaps?) add yourself in the 'Write access' field of this specific branch permission, when you want to create new branches of this type.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events