Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I push to a read only repo to reduce size?

cdclose
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 21, 2018

After using BFG to do clean up I'm unable to push to the repo. If I can't push to it how am I supposed to reduce the size?

"WARNING: The dirty content above may be removed from other commits, but as
the *protected* commits still use it, it will STILL exist in your repository.

Details of protected dirty content have been recorded here :

/Users/xxxxxx/data/bitbucket/xxxxxx.bfg-report/2018-12-21/15-49-48/protected-dirt/

If you *really* want this content gone, make a manual commit that removes it,
and then run the BFG on a fresh copy of your repo."

It won't let me manually commit the delete of the files. What is the process to reduce the repo to get under the 2GB limit?

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 24, 2018

Hello Chris and welcome to the Community!

Hitting that hard limit of 2GB on Bitbucket free version does stop you from committing any new code or executing a delete.

The simple answer to this is to complete the following:

1. Delete the large files out of your local repository
  2. Commit the changes up to Bitbucket
  3. You should be back under the size limits

Bitbucket repository limits

To provide the best and fastest service for all our users we have the following repository size limits.

• Soft limit 1 GB: At this point we let you know you're getting to the higher end of an effective repository size and you might want to perform maintenance to keep from hitting the hard limit.
  • Hard limit 2 GB: This is essentially a repository size stop sign we'll limit what you can do until you reduce your repository size.

If your repository exceeded the 2GB limit

Once you have taken the steps to reduce your local repository, and pushed those changes up to Bitbucket, we'll automatically run an aggressive Git gc to clean things up and get you working again.

If this does not help to resolve your issue then you may want to review the following for additional options to reduce your repository size.

Reduce repository size

I hope this helps to resolve the issue with your exceeded size limit.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events