• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I push code to an empty repo when I get "No such remote 'origin'" error?

I have a local project that I have been using git for version control for. I would like to put this project on Bitbucket as a remote backup. I tried following the instructions in the documentation here . However, on the second step, "Change the remote URL on your local repo", I get the following error:

fatal: No such remote 'origin'

This would lead me to believe I've copied the URL from Bitbucket wrong, but I've tried to see how and I don't see anything wrong. It is of the form

https://user@bitbucket.org/user/project.git

Has anyone else encountered this and know how to fix it, or otherwise have helpful troubleshooting advice? Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

I was able to figure out the solution to my own problem by reading more about the `git remote` options here . The issue is that the Bitbucket documentation tells you to use

git remote set-url <url>

whereas if you never had a remote origin for your local project you instead need to use

git remote add <url>

After doing it that way, it worked just fine, so if you run into this issue taking that approach might help you!.

PS: If you get

! [rejected] master -> master (fetch first)
error: failed to push some refs to 'https://user@bitbucket.org/user/project.git'
hint: Updates were rejected because the remote contains work that you do
hint: not have locally. This is usually caused by another repository pushing
hint: to the same ref. You may want to first integrate the remote changes
hint: (e.g., 'git pull ...') before pushing again.
hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details.

you can fix this by changing

git push -u origin --all

from the documentation to

git push -u -f origin --all

Tyler T Atlassian Team Jan 04, 2021

Nice work figuring it out!

This guide is quite helpful and goes into more detail than the documentation page: https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/syncing

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Powering DevOps with Bitbucket Server & Data Center

Hi everyone, The Cloud team recently announced 12 new DevOps features that help developers ship better code, faster   ! While we’re all excited about the new improvements to Bitbucket ...

2,581 views 1 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you