How can I make new folder when I Create a branch in Sourcetree (git) from master ?

Jay Patel December 27, 2014

Hello,

Is it possible ? To whenever create new branch from HEAD as a master automatically create new folder and pull into that branch. So I can easily switchover to master branch or new create branch.

In my case I create new branch and add some code and commit into new branch so in BitBucket show two branch with commit that are perfect. But in my local folder are only one. Now I my local folder show new branched code. so what about master branch.

How can I get master branch in new folder ? Same as when I create new branch automatically create new folder ? 

1 answer

0 votes
Shomnathprabu Kasthuri December 27, 2014

Git manages the branching. When you select a branch - the branch is the active branch and the local folder corresponds to the current branch. If you switch over the branch in source tree, the local folder will automatically reflect to selected branch. That is beauty of GIT.

To answer your question, can we do separate folder for each branch, yes clone the branch in different folder.

Jay Patel December 27, 2014

Thank you for your answer help me to know something new things. When I press click on checkout code update base on branch but when largest changes are present it take some time ? and is there any way to make new directory for different branch?

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2014

The only way to have a two working copies (two different folders showing the contents of different branches) is to have two local repositories. That's what @Shomnathprabu Kasthuri meant when he said "Clone the branch in a different folder".

Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2015

If your repo is large and/or bandwidth to the server is low, consider creating the new clones by copying the first clone and checking out another branch in the copy. This can be much faster than cloning the same repo again from the server.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events