How can I make a repository public but with read/clone only permissions in Bitbucket ?

Valeria Ivanova May 6, 2022

Hello,

I would like to set a repository to be accessible by anyone in the world (public) but would like to make it read/clone only. Is this possible? How can I do that?

Thank you very much!

Valeria 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 9, 2022

Hi Valeria,

You can make a repository public from Repository settings on Bitbucket website, you will need to deselect the option "This is a private repository".

All public Bitbucket Cloud repositories can be viewed and cloned by anyone. The only ones who can push to a public repo are users that have at least write access to the repo.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions about this.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Valeria Ivanova May 9, 2022

Hello @Theodora Boudale ,

Thank you so much for your prompt response. To make sure that I understood correctly, by default all public repositories are read and cloned only, but only the registered users with write permissions will be able to push to the public repo? correct?

Thank you once again,

Valeria 

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 10, 2022

Hi Valeria,

Yes, that is correct.

One additional thing: users without write access will also be able to create a fork of the public repo under their workspace, push changes to their fork (not to your public repo), and then create a pull request from the fork to your public repo.

Users with write/admin access to the public repo can then review the pull request and either merge or decline.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Like Valeria Ivanova likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events