Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I create PR Validation Trigger in bitbucket pipelines?

Wayne Pichotta May 21, 2022

Trigger options I have looked at are:

- `branches` will run automatically on a commit to a branch

- `pull-requests` in my testing will run when a pull request is created or merged

I would like a trigger that runs on each commit to a branch that is currently part of a pull request.

I am considering using the branches trigger for all branches and writing a custom pipe to check the Bitbucket API to get any related PRs for the commit. The downside being that it would require a pipeline run for every commit to any branch and I am not sure what I would do in the case no PR was found. I guess in that instance I could fail the build but that is not an ideal outcome to have a bunch of failed builds in my pipeline history.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2022

Hello @Wayne Pichotta ,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

When you use the pull-requests trigger, it will trigger the pipeline in the Pull-Request creation, as well as in every push to the source branch of the pull request.

Let's take the below YML file as an example:

pipelines:

pull-requests:
'**': #this runs as default for any branch not elsewhere defined
- step:
script:
- echo "Runs for any branch not defined below"
feature/*: #any branch with a feature prefix
- step:
script:
- echo "Runs for any branch that starts with feature"

Supposing that I have created a branch called feature/1 from master. When I create a Pull Request from feature/1 to master, the pull request pipeline feature/* will be triggered. While the Pull request is open, every subsequent commit to the source branch of the PR (in this case feature/1) will also trigger the pipeline  feature/*

You can use something similar to the above in your yml to get the pipeline to trigger in every commit to a branch that is the source of a pull request.

Hope that helps! Let me know in case you have any questions.

Thank you, @Wayne Pichotta .

Kind regards,

Patrik S

Wayne Pichotta May 25, 2022

@Patrik S wow that is embarrassing. It does exactly what I was asking for. I thought it was not acting that way in my testing last week. Thanks for your patience and taking the time to answer. This is great.

Like Patrik S likes this
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2022

Hey @Wayne Pichotta ,

No worries at all :) I'm glad to have been of some help.

Thank you, @Wayne Pichotta !

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events