Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with reflecting the reduction in repo size

BustosMan July 24, 2019

I've already reduced my repo size to 220 MB when I use Bash at my repo's file location. Currently, my bitbucket repo size is 3.2 GB, preventing me from pushing changes still. Do I have to reverse commits just so I can push changes? I would like to not do this since I just reduced my repo size locally. I think what may also be affecting the repo size on bitbucket is the .git file, which is 4.7 GB and I don't know a way of reducing that file as well. In any case, if a gc is necessary to help me with this, then please do so.

Edit: I just reset back a few commits to the point before the repo got too big. I would now like a gc to run on my remote repository.

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2019

Hi Andrew, welcome to the Community

I've checked your Bitbucket Cloud account and I couldn't find any repository that big, are you still experiencing this issue? If so, please let us know the name of the repository and we will have another look.

Cheers!

Ana 

BustosMan August 8, 2019

I'm no longer experiencing the issue, but I'm now running into the issue of the repo size increasing even though I remove certain files that are taking up a lot of space. The deletion of those files does reflect but my repo is now 1.3 GB in size. Is it because I can still recover them through my commit history? I would definitely like help with this.

Edit: It looks like you may need to run a gc for me? The repo is called TeenVTitan. I'm still not 100% sure, though. 

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 14, 2019

Hi @BustosMan

Is it because I can still recover them through my commit history?

You're spot on. Even if you delete a file from your repository now, it's still recoverable so it will still take up space. If you want to remove it completely (as if that file was never part of your repository) you can do it by using either the BFG Repo-Cleaner or the git filter-branch command. 

I've run a git gc on your remote and the size has decreased to 708.1 MB, however note that the size will likely go up again as the file is still there. If you're interested in removing it forever, you can learn how by reading this documentation.

Hope that helps!

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events