Having trouble cloning a new BitBucket hg repo using SourceTree

Shavais Zarathu October 17, 2014

I'm just getting started with BitBucket, Mercurial, and SourceTree.

I created a BitBucket account, created a fresh hg repository, and downloaded SourceTree. During the SourceTree installation and set up process, it registered (and seemed to successfully find / log into) my BitBucket account, and it found the new repository.

It suggested cloning that repository and offered to do it, and I'm trying to let it do that, but I can't get past that dialog successfully.

No matter what destination path I give it, it either says the path doesn't exist, or it's not empty. The path is empty, I created the folder just now, but when I select that folder, I get a dialog..

Title: "Cannot clone into non-empty folder"
Message: "The destination path (..the path I specified..) already exists and is not empty. Please choose an empty or new folder into which to clone."

..but the folder is empty, I just created it. And if I specify a folder that doesn't exist yet I get a different error dialog that says the destination folder doesn't exist.

Help?

Huh, I just tried typing in a non-existing sub folder of the folder I just created, and magically, this time, it got past the destination path problem (even though I swear I just tried that and it didn't work.. does the parent folder of the destination folder have to be empty? Does the parent folder of the destination folder have to be the same name as the destination folder?), but now I'm getting a different dialog..

Title: "Error"
Message: "warning: bitbucket.org certificate with fingerprint (..long hex string..) not verified (check hostfingerprints or web.cacerts config setting) abort: http authorization required."

I was really hoping to get into a set up that I could easily walk remote, non-technical teammates through getting going over the phone. We're all working in Windows, not Linux or OSX. The various graphical user interfaces provided by hg and Atlassian seemed like a great idea. If I have to try to walk people through installing command line tools, and modifying their system environment path variables so that the command line tools are available when they use a command prompt, and then opening a command prompt and typing in (or even pasting in) command lines.... that's really going to be a major pain in the butt for all concerned.

"Non-techies using a version control system!?" Yeah, long story, please don't ask.

"You can't use netmeeting, joinme, logmein, gotomypc..?" Maybe, but not very easily.

"Why aren't you using Git like everyone else?" I was hoping that Mercurial would handle distributing updates to images and various other binary file types more efficiently than Git does. And Git is very command-line oriented, and I'm trying to escape the command lines.

1 answer

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Barney Ash December 16, 2014

Had the same problem and the answer was almost infuriatingly simple.

Don't create a new folder, just add it to the address:

C:\yourinstallfolder\addnewfolder

And off it goes.

Seems to have trouble if you have already created the folder using Windows.

Shavais Zarathu December 23, 2014

I discovered this by trial and error shortly after writing this. I guess I should've come back and said so. Felt kinda dumb at the time, as I recall, although I was slightly annoyed, too. =/

Sebastián Bravo November 9, 2017

I can't add anything to the address :/

error.png

Josh2008 December 14, 2017

Same problem here.

unable to add to dialog.

Googled still no answer to this.

So uninstalling and trying something else.  :( :(

LiquiDAciD March 2, 2018

Anyone found a solution to this? There is no way to update the destination path manually

Edit: Just skip it, you can do it later.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events