Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gitflow and automatic merges from releases to develop branch?

Scott Merritt March 10, 2014

We're using the gitflow branching model. Is there a way to tell stash to auto-merge release/ branches into my develop branch?

I've turned on the branching model settings and sent my development branch and release/ prefix to match. When pull requests come in and I approve them, it will automatically merge to the release/ branch, but it doesn't cascade down to develop. Is there a way I can do this?

I turned on "Enable automatic merging" in the hopes that it'd do the trick, but it doesn't seem to have done anything. I was thinking it'd be nice to keep our develop branch merged so that there are no nasty conflicts to merge at the end. I know that using the gitflow branching model, you're not expected to leave the release branch open for a long time and it should just be for the last minute fixes, but we work on more than one release at a time. Should we abnadon the 'develop' branch and instead start naming with version numbers so that the cascading, automatic merges work? Or did we just not set this up right?

1 answer

3 votes
jhinch (Atlassian)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 17, 2014

In order for the cascading merges to work you'll need to change the 'default branch' of the repository to 'develop' in the general settings for the repository. A preview of the cascading merge should appear as part of the merge dialog for the pull request so you can verify this works before merging your pull request.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events