Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Git commits from others lost and showing in my instace

thejas jayaram January 13, 2015

I am fed up with the way git works. I am not able to figure out how it works. I am using tortoisegit. I have pulled my instance and resolved the files which were conflicted.
Then git somehow locked and I had to solve that. Then I committed the resolved files.
Then I pushed these changes.
Now what happens is, the revisions that others committed is lost and it is showing only for me. All these files are now showing for me under "commit". What should I do now. Can i commit those files so that the changes that lost will be solved? how to know if there is any issues with my brach? Pls help me with this. I need solution very badly.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Paul Pasler
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 13, 2015

You surely read the Atlassian Tutorial for git? (I don't know how familiar you are with git, so I am maybe asking stupid questions)

• Use the Commits-View on Bitbucket, maybe you can find a hint there. You should see a commit tree with different branches and merges.
  • I assume you use Windows? Are you able to run git on the cmd.exe?
  • What does "git status" tell you?
  • Did you fetch before pulling?
  • Did you add the resolved files to index to mark them as not conflicting anymore?

It could be several problems.

Paul Pasler
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 13, 2015

@thejas jayaram If this question is answered, please accept the answer. So others can profit from this question.

thejas jayaram January 14, 2015

in tortoisegit we have ui. so i use ui rather than commands.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2015

The git book (http://git-scm.com/book) is another very useful resource. Sure, both focus on using commands, but besides that they explain "how it works", so you know what to expect when you "pull", "push", "merge", etc. These terms don't mean the same thing as they did for CVS/SVN.

John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2015

A lot of folks find that the UI over complicates things. Try it out in the command line, you may be surprised by how easy it can be that way.

thejas jayaram January 14, 2015

ok i will try doing command line. thanks everyone for the support

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events