Git commit fails with SourceTree : error: unable to create temporary sha1 filename .git/objects/d8: File exists

Deleted user February 3, 2013

Trying to commit to a Git repo with Sourcetree fails as follows:

git -c core.quotepath=false commit -q -m "Notes fri" -a
error: unable to create temporary sha1 filename .git/objects/d8: File exists

error: Error building trees
Completed with errors, see above

It is possible to commit without problems with command line Git.

With some googling I found the following commands to try but they didn't help:

git fsck
git prune
git repack
git fsck

I also tried the following, no help either

git gc

1 answer

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2013

Unfortunately this nabble discussion shows that 'Error building trees' doesn't necessarily mean anything within the context of the problem. It seems "error: unable to create temporary sha1 filename" and "error: Error building trees" don't go hand in hand. There's various discussions of this problem on StackOverflow so it's worth checking out this link.

With that link in mind it's worth checking out the permissions and chown the entire directory recursively, only if you get a permission denied error after trying repack or gc. Generally though, it seems more of a permissions problem due to multiple users committing to the same repository.

If the former doesn't work then it'd be worth knowing more about your setup, i.e. do multiple users have access to this repository?

Deleted user February 3, 2013

Hi, thanks for answer. Repack/gc/other don't give me errors and recursive chown didn't cause any problems.

My setup is that I am only user of a remote repo at a network share.

I'll probably go with doing a clean clone of the repo when I got a proper time.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events