Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Git clone operation is very slow

Rohit Dalvi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2022

I have recently noticed that after the update of Bitbucket 7.17.4 our bitbucket server has become very slow and the git clone takes forever and builds are failing due to time out. Is there a configuration in Bitbucket which I can tweak to make the git clone operation faster ?

1 answer

0 votes
Evan Slaughter
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2022

Hi @Rohit Dalvi 

Without looking at the logs themselves, the best thing I can think to advise would be to enable profiler logging on your Bitbucket instance, as well as git trace logging on the git client performing the clone, and use those to see where the slowdown is happening. (For more info on how to do that, see: Bitbucket - Enable debug logging)

Based on what I've seen in the past, the cause for this could be quite a few different things. To name a few:

• Issues with the filesystem such as incorrect NFS settings, poor network connectivity between the Bitbucket NFS server and the Bitbucket nodes, bad read/write speeds or IOPS, etc.
  • Issues with the network connection between the Bitbucket node and the git client. (Sometimes caused by things such as using a VPN or some other aspect of the network itself.)
  • Issues with resource utilization on the Bitbucket node(s), where a large queue of requests is built up due to having insufficient resources to handle the incoming requests. For more info see: here and here
  • Issues with a reverse-proxy or load balancer in front of your Bitbucket node(s) that's imposing some kind of restriction on the HTTP requests being sent to Bitbucket.

Given the above potential causes, I'd recommend seeing if you can bypass your reverse proxy or that you use a different protocol for cloning (such as SSH) and then see if the slowness persists. If so, it's possibly something server-side such as a filesystem issue. Otherwise, if the issue goes away, it may be something more networking-related.

In either case, if you get stuck and need additional help, feel free to shoot our support team a request with a support zip from your Bitbucket nodes and we'll be happy to help advise further.

Thanks,

Evan Slaughter

Senior Support Engineer | Atlassian Support - Development Tools

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events