Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Git Clone not working anymore after SourceTree update

CerbionShirayuki February 5, 2019

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

we are a small hobby/home dev duo (me and my partner) and we are using SourceTree on an almost daily basis.

We have two workstations (A + B), Station A is and has been working fine ever since, Clone, Fetch, Push, Pull, etc. but runs an old version: 2.5.5.0 of Source Tree.

Workstation B however, updated its Source Tree (3.0+) and now can't clone any more repositories.

The error when trying to clone a repository:

Command: perl.exe [...]\AppData\Local\SourceTree\app-3.0.8\tools\svn.pl info ssh://[repository-url]
Output:
Error: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The System cannot find the file specified

Command: git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false ls-remote ssh://[repository-url]
Output:
Error: Permission denied (publickey,password).
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

Note: both the local directory as well as the git URL are obfuscated for privacy.

It's important to note that cloning the same repository on Workstation A worked without much trouble at all. Some of these errors look a little different in other SourceTree versions (things like "Too many authentication failures"). Tested with 2.3, 2.5 and 3.0.

We've tried de- and reinstalling SourceTree countless times with various versions to no avail. Also tried updating the Embedded Git or using a freshly installed System Git, both no change as well.

.NET is up to date as well.

We thought it was a simple issue of the repository being incorrectly set up, but it works fine on Workstation A, we can fetch, push and pull just fine, but Workstation B can't even clone it.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2019

Hi

My first guess would be to check the Git version installed on the two machines. Then check your SSH configuration. It looks like you are using SSH style Git urls, though there isn't enough information to be sure of that.

So I'd check the SSH agent, openSSH or PuTTY is running and has loaded the local SSH key. 

CerbionShirayuki February 6, 2019

Thanks for the reply! I will check this and get back as soon as I know more.

CerbionShirayuki February 13, 2019

So turns out the SSH was the problem but not exactly what we thought it was,

trying to connect directly via SSH worked like a charm, so there was little evidence to think it's really the SSH agent or anything.

But we've found the solution in that we may have used a wrong password for the same git user and saved it to SourceTree, apparently the re-installs were not enough to purge those, because if we tried connecting with

ssh://user:theactualpw@[repo]
It prompted us to put in the credentials for that repository again and the "save password" was checked by default so that was most likely the cause, now it works as it should, thanks for your time!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events